My quick and easy Standing desk

Brent Dowell

Administrator
Staff member
Not sure if this qualifies to be in here, since It's just pretty much an 'assembled' project. I saw a desktop on the ikea hacker site and decided to steal the design.

I bought a butcher block counter top from Ikea and some of their capita brackets. I cut the counter top into one ~25" width and one ~14" width. If you do buy one of these counter tops, check it out at the store before you bring it home. Mine had a slight arch to it, but that was pretty much negligible once I cut it in to.

I put a couple coats of seal coat on it, and then several coats of wipe on satin poly. Thanks go to Rennie for talking me through that. It was pretty easy and I really like the look and feel of the wood. should be durable enough for daily use too.

I bought some metal legs online and attached those.

The desk is right at 42" tall, which works out great for me when I'm standing and typing. I've been working at that height for a few months so I knew it would work out fine. I do have a stool I can use for those times I'd like to sit.

So, that was all pretty quick and easy. I spent way more time moving the guts of my computers into some rack mount cases and futzing with all the wiring for the gizmos. I was tired of my computers sitting in a nest of wires on the floor, so decide to rack mount everything to make it easy to keep things off the floor and in the same general area. That's one improvement I'm really going to like.

I'm pretty happy with the desk the way it is, but I might ditch the metal legs I bought and will make some more substantial legs someday. These are ok, but there's a little bit of a wobble. I think I'll come up with some kind of bracket to attach it to the wall for safety.

Still need to clean up all the cables some more, but I'm really liking it. I'm planning on making a wall cabinet of sorts to go on the wall next to me to hold books and other assorted gear, but that's way down on the priority list for now.

FWW-7852.jpg
FWW-7850.jpg

Looks good and functional.

Its darn hard to beat the price of the ikea counter tops for stuff like this.

You got that right. 195$ for 73x39x1.5 .

I bought a couple extra of the narrower ones 73x25x1.5 at 129.

Thinking of making a matching credenza type thing with doors on it with 1, and maybe a new workbench with another.

Thats really neat and well done Brent. I like the rack mount idea very very much too. I have an Ikea corner desk/table but in the new place its taking up way too much space. Up to now all my stuff is all on the desk. I think a rack arrangement would make for a huge difference for me. I also like the idea of being able to stand or sit on stool while working. Great to have the screen up on a shelf.

Hows techie like you get away with only one screen? The brackets to hold the shelf part are an excellent find and pretty good price to add some contrast and strength without much space.

Very cool. :thumb:

Nice setup. I'd like to try something like that...it'd probably be good for my back.

But I'm with Rob - you've only got like 1 1/2 computer screens. What's up with that? :D

Single 21.5". But in my defense, There's 4 freaking computers at that desk, and at my music workstation I've got 2 monitors and an 8core machine. And then theres the garage computer.

I'm thinking about getting another monitor, but I think it might clutter things up.

Besides, anything with a bigger res than 1920x1080 is uber expensive.

I'm actually fine for now with what I've got.

Looks great, Brent. What kind of metal legs did you get?

Over priced, Round, with a plate that screws to the bottom of the desk. The legs have a bolt that then screws into the plate. At 45" tall, they are a little wobbly, but not bad.

I thought about welding up my own legs, but decided It would end up being another never ending project, so I bought the legs premade.

I may still go through with my plan to weld some up out of 3" square tubing.

Single 21.5". But in my defense, There's 4 freaking computers at that desk, and at my music workstation I've got 2 monitors and an 8core machine. And then theres the garage computer.

I'm thinking about getting another monitor, but I think it might clutter things up.

Besides, anything with a bigger res than 1920x1080 is uber expensive.

I'm actually fine for now with what I've got.

:rofl:

I can't really talk, program for a living but I don't even have a real desktop at home anymore.