Tool Chest - "Prototype"

Thanks Ryan.

Ken, I still think a wall cabinet is in my future, but considering that we might be selling our current house; then moving into a rental until we find or build our dream house, I think this might be my best solution for now. I needed to do something to consolidate all my hand tools together and my smaller traveling tool box was handy, just not big enough.

Talking about tool storage at the bench, I have decided to install a tool tray at the back of my bench. I am finding having my tools laying on the bench gets in the way of working on the bench. I know I am going against current wisdom, but I believe it all depends on how one works. I am not a messy guy so I don't think it will become a "hamster cage" filled with left out tools & debris. I believe that a tool tray will be asset for me, but am curious how it has worked for others.

When I build my drawer section for underneath my bench it will be made in 2 sections side by side so they are easy to set in place. The ends on each section will extend up about 4" & have a full extension glide mounted so that when the two sections are under the bench then a top drawer will pull out to put items into instead of on top of the bench making it possible to do away with the tool tray.

looks like your about ready to make the real one now bill:) its been fun watchun you build this and tell us some of the history of how they were in the old days.

I have been told that I have been dinking around with this tool chest way too long. I have this weekend to finish it up and start working on "more important things". All of this is from she who will remain nameless. I only have to install my Golden Rod dehumidfier, another chisel rack, a couple of brackets for some misc tools and then load it up. The saw till will wait until I acquire a couple of panel saws. I have too many full size hand saws to fit all of them. Next pictures will be of a loaded chest, but not with everything as I am realizing there is not enough room. Also I will be living with this chest for a while.
Sent from my MB612 using Tapatalk 2

Bet the "prototype is breathing a sigh of relief that someone in the family is on its side. Saved from the firepit. :D

Nice job Bill. Whats it matter how long it takes. Isnt that what a hobby is about. No pressure that is until our better halves are involved or should i use the word "taskmadams":rofl:

I finished the tool chest, except for the saw till and some minor tweeking of the tray internals. I installed a Golden Rod dehumidifier to help keep any rust out of the chest.

2012-12-22_17-36-39_78.jpg

A shot of the chest near my bench. Not sure where it will sit exactly and which way it will be orientated.

2012-12-24_13-39-15_838.jpg

Two shots of the top tray and the chisel racks. The saw till is now filled with rolls of excess chisels, files, hammers & drill.

2012-12-24_13-39-35_181.jpg2012-12-24_13-39-45_15.jpg

Second till.

2012-12-24_13-40-17_13.jpg

The third till.

2012-12-24_13-40-39_452.jpg

Main plane department with my bench planes.

2012-12-24_13-41-21_705.jpg 2012-12-24_13-41-01_968.jpg

The back compartment, filled with specialty planes.

2012-12-24_13-41-43_46.jpg

As I said, I will probably will be moving things around to get the optimum layout for me. I have already noticed a big improvement in working.

Thanks for the comments everyone. I will enjoy working out of the chest, instead of my old toolbox and various cubbyholes located here and there. The toolbox did not allow for easy access and of course with the others scattered here and there there was much inefficiency in my work. I often would make use of a tool other than the right one, just to avoid the effort it required to get it.

Looks really nice, Bill. Now that it's full, how much does it weigh?

No way of telling, but it does take a considerable amount of effort to roll it around. I am glad I have wheels on it, as I could not imagine dragging it around. I suspect that chests were popular when many of the planes were wood or more likely they made better use of fewer tools :). I will need to do something else for all my wood moulding planes; most likely a couple of shelves above my bench when it is moved to its permanent position (over to the wall, under the window).

Last edited: