Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pole frame / Post Frame construction question

Pole frame / Post Frame construction question

Hello Family Woodworking members! I feel like I 'know' a LOT of you already, I've been a member over at SMC since Feb. 2003 and was referred over here recently.

I will "some time soon" be building this pole frame shed in my backyard. It is 10x14 and I really like the look of it and the 2 lofts it has for more storage.

I am concerned about the post to ground "joint". I have seen a couple products that intrigue me and wanted to get your thoughts on them.

1. http://www.postprotector.com/products.htm
    2. http://www.socketsys.com/index.php?i...duct+details#2

One would protect my post from the element/ground/rot etc. and the other would keep all the wood above ground.

Any thoughts on these 2 products or pole-frame construction in general would be appreciated.

-Linc

lincoln, glad you found us!
    personally i`m against setting posts in the ground unless they`re treated with creasote like phone poles.....so given your two choices i`d opt for #2....tod
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    lincoln, glad you found us!
    personally i`m against setting posts in the ground unless they`re treated with creasote like phone poles.....so given your two choices i`d opt for #2....tod
    welcome lincoln join on in and have fun with us and learn too andtod you mentioned posts in the ground not being in your favor are refering to the new green stuff as well?
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Thanks.

Does treated lumber from the borgs or lumber yards come treated w/ creasote? Or is that some other process.

Thanks again,

Linc

Don Taylor is offline Former Member (by the member's request)
    Hi Lincoln

DT

larry-n-lincoln, the "green" stuff from the borgs ain`t creasote! supposedly it`ll do okay in the ground if it`s kept relatively dry? if you want to sink wood into dirt or concrete that`s intended to support a building, even a shed, i`d use a minimum of 6x6 and do all you`re able to keep it dry....pouring sonotubes with concrete is more work but mounting the treated posts to steel ties imbeded in the concrete (up above ground level) is the best move...tod
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Lincoln

Welcome to the forum

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Lincoln Myers View Post
    Does treated lumber from the borgs or lumber yards come treated w/ creasote? Or is that some other process.

Thanks again,

Linc
    That's another process. The (green) treated lumber used to be a chromide, I dunno what the new stuff is. Creosote is the brown/black gunk on phone poles and such.

A bit extra on the green stuff. You are in Illinois and shouldn't have the insect/rot problems we do further south. Where I am, in northern Arkansas, a deck made with treated lumber has a 20 to 30 life expectancy. Untreated is 5 to 15 years. My house has deck posts set in the ground with concrete. The house is about 12 years old and the wood shows absolute no signs of going bad on me.

Hi Lincoln,

Simpson also makes stuff like the second choice, you could have a look at their website or your local borg for a few ideas. The first one is interesting, and might work, but I'm not sure I'd want to play guinea pig myself. Best thing is to keep the wood away from the ground. The trouble with PT lumber is they keep having to change the formula of the preservatives in an attempt to reduce its toxicity- and unfortunately, this tends to reduce its effectiveness. The latest green stuff is called ACQ- its some kind of copper compound and is reported to be kinda hard on fasteners. Be aware also, that if you have to cut a PT post for inside the structure, put the cut end up. Not all species will be treated through the core of the wood, so you may be cutting off your protection.

John