Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Been talking retirement options

Been talking retirement options

Shelly and I were having dinner last Friday and the topic came up . So far Co, Maybe the Denver area is in the lead. I like SW Co but she likes big city's plus it's close to her brother. And we both have a number of friends there. So all I need to do now is get Jarrod ready to take over and wait for Shelly to retire from the County.
    I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.
    ::: Andrew Wyeth :::
    colonialrestorationstudio.com

My wife is from Colorado (Montrose is the nearest city). We used to go back for 3 weeks every year. Her brother really enjoyed being "tour guide" so I have seen a lot of the state---probably more than many Coloradoins (Is that a word?). It is a beautiful part of the world.

Lots of luck with your plans.

Enjoy,

JimB
    First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.
    VOTING MEMBER

Jim The only part I have really visited is the SW corner where my aunt had a resort at Valsida ? Lake outside Durango . Beautiful country.
    I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.
    ::: Andrew Wyeth :::
    colonialrestorationstudio.com

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    I only got one thing to say and for me it's four letter word S N O W. and I don't like the other four letter word C O L D.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Geez Don, you have more inclement weather than we do these days....but when you have heat, boy do you have heat

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hawksford View Post
    ... plus it's close to her brother.
    I'm a long way away from that time myself, but over and over I see/hear how the proximity of family makes a big difference as you age.
    There's usually more than one way to do it...
    www.wordsnwood.com ........ facebook.com/wordsnwood

Interestingly same discussion is happening at our house.

Being overly analytical types we made a spreadsheet of criteria that seemed somewhat important to us. Obviously not all of them are equally weighted and some are proxies for other things that seem related in our minds.

For us the top criteria really boiled down to:
    1. Could we afford to get the sort of property we want (this weirdly varies by region) in that area
    2. Sunny and warm enough, loml is from S. CA and AZ, the northern winter thing is contentious.
    3. Would we enjoy living there (community, etc..)
    4. Other stuff

Items #1 and #2 drop a lot of the country off of the list. I'd really like a few acres and we're not rich so.. yeah.

Denver is just a cold and snowy city. Go 50 - 150 miles more west on I-70 and get into the mountains. Still cold (mostly colder) and very snowy but very beautiful.

bethel springs TN, but was born and raised in north east PA
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Mooney View Post
    Interestingly same discussion is happening at our house.

Being overly analytical types we made a spreadsheet of criteria that seemed somewhat important to us. Obviously not all of them are equally weighted and some are proxies for other things that seem related in our minds.

For us the top criteria really boiled down to:
    1. Could we afford to get the sort of property we want (this weirdly varies by region) in that area
    2. Sunny and warm enough, loml is from S. CA and AZ, the northern winter thing is contentious.
    3. Would we enjoy living there (community, etc..)
    4. Other stuff

Items #1 and #2 drop a lot of the country off of the list. I'd really like a few acres and we're not rich so.. yeah.
    Hey Ryan. How about 40 acers in Arizona for 16,000. Be glad to sell it to ya, as i have no intention of ever moving back to a desert. It is in a realtors hands right now.

My wife and have been very close to purchasing property south of Montrose Co- and the water restriction in Colorado has moved our desire to North of Santa Fe NM -- in the mountains and really pretty--
    Remember the tea kettle - it is always up to its neck in hot water, yet it
    still sings!