how much bend

larry merlau

ok great wize ones, how much can you bend manufactured plywood say 3/8" i have a project that should be vacume formed but after looking at the radius needed, i had question rather it could be made to conform with out the vacume process... the radius is slow curve of 16" with a drop of 4" in the 16".. would steaming make it conform or would i be further ahead to make the lamination? be nice tod ok i know i am ignorant:)

great wize one ,cant do that its gotta look good on the back too:)
head board.

Hmmmm. Yer making it complicated Larry:huh:

Steaming is out, as the glue will let loose.

How about two layers of 1/4", slightly kerf both, then have the good sides showing?
Only one glue joint that way.

If you are not in a hurry, just rip, mill, or bandsaw 1/8" , and build you a glue-up form.

Throw it down yonder in the creek, then prop it next to the shop in the hot sun till it warps just right.....couldn't resist.:D

Can't help you out on this one boss....:huh:

that jist might work

Hmmmm. Yer making it complicated Larry:huh:

Steaming is out, as the glue will let loose.

How about two layers of 1/4", slightly kerf both, then have the good sides showing?
Only one glue joint that way.

If you are not in a hurry, just rip, mill, or bandsaw 1/8" , and build you a glue-up form.

i think i could do that one, and not have a high rental few on a geat big bag but maybe i would be better off doing the bag though seein as this is 36" high and 60" wide that way i would eliminate the joint in the ply.. maybe i have no altercation but too???? pay rent:)

Take two 1/4 sheets. They will bend easily and glue them together. The glue should hold your bend and you can put the good faces out on both sides. It'll be a little thicker than what you were asking for, but you may be able to compensate for that.

larry, one way to do what you`re askin` without a bag is to use 3 layers of 1/8" bending birch bent around a form.....when dried apply paperbacked veneer. minimal tools required using this approach....tod

Ditto

I was going to suggest getting as Tod says, some of that mdf core bending ply. I don't know exactly where you can find it, but I know it's out there. I've seen it in 1/4" somewhere.............and oh yah, I have a pump for you Larry, so maybe you can get after the vacuum thing soon.

larry...what about using "wiggle board"? It's a ply, made for bending and gives you both sides good (no kerfs, etc.).

jim, in these parts "wiggle-wood" is 1/4 or 3/8 bending luan.....the 1/8" bending birch is a vastly superior product, in fact the birch veneer on the last few sheets i`ve bought was clean enough to stain...tod

tod...good points, thanks. Don't believe larry mentioned if it had to be stained ...just mentioned it as a possible alternative to the "real" way of a lam up. Never had a need for it, so haven't checked, if it's luan that's used on the stuff here. (Probably same as what you get, though)