Mallee Hollow form

neil mackay

Here we the latest on the lathe, took awhile to apply the finish too much wet weather.:(

10x5" sprayed with a polyurethane finish, not sure if I like the heavy gloss. I'm contemplating giving it a buff to knock back the gloss somewhat.

Attachments

• mallee hollow form 002.jpg
    mallee hollow form 002.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 38
  • mallee hollow form 003.jpg
    mallee hollow form 003.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 41
  • mallee hollow form 004.jpg
    mallee hollow form 004.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 35
How in the world did it not blow into a gazillion pieces:eek::huh:, that is KOOL:thumb::thumb::thumb:

edit: the more I look at that, it is turning into one of my favorite pieces I have seen here, just fantastic:)

Last edited:
White knuckle turning for sure. And you have the chutzpah to further manipulate it to dull the gloss! Amazing.

As amazing as the piece. Love it.

It's a crying shame you can't get any solid pieces of wood down there in Australia. :D Knowing how hard mallee can be, I can only imagine how much work this hollow form must have been. Amazing work, Hughie!

Amazing piece Neil absolutely with out words to comment. Do you have any before pics and in progress pics i just cant get my head around how it got to this state. Well done.:thumb:

It's a crying shame you can't get any solid pieces of wood down there in Australia

I gotta admit this has always been the dearth of my life.....sigh. :D

Jeez Stu do you know how much solid wood is here when the norm is sponge wood? :)

No real progress pics Rob it never crossed my mind. I have but the one about mid way in the progress.

One thing that did catch me somewhat was the condition of the burl, for the most part the burls I get are fairly dry to very dry. This one was very dry on the outside and very wet on the inside :huh: Add to that I couldn't finish it in one go either there was a gap of about three days in the hollowing. At this point I lost control of the wall thickness even with aplastic bad over it.It didn't move much but enough to give a variation of 3/32 to 1/4" in the finished wall thickness. Its not so noticeable, except maybe to another turner. :D

Attachments

• mallee work in progress.jpg
    mallee work in progress.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 6