Corian counter cracked - new pix

Carol Reed

In Memoriam
Not sure this is the best place for this, but....

I discovered that a cutting board VELCROED! to the counter top concealed a mess of cracks, all gunked with kitchen gunk in my new to me 14 year old motorhome. Seems the seller was less than forthcoming about issues. Some folks have honesty and integrity issues.

This mess has to be repaired. I don't need that bacteria infested mess in my new digs!

So, question. Money is in tight supply for a while. Can this be cleaned and repaired in some way? I think I can get the cracks sufficiently clean. The Mad Scientist is coming today! She has so many tricks up her sleeves, it is a wonder her hands stick out!

Is there something I can seal the cracks in the Corian with and then sand/buff it all out?

Last edited:
After a thorough cleaning and degreasing, you might be able to use the same epoxy that Corian installers use for seaming it. Hopefully, you could work the epoxy into the cracks and crevices, then sand and polish it after it cures.

Assuming it's 'real' Corian, the installers are all specially licensed (after training) and aren't supposed to sell the stuff to unlicensed individuals, but a licensed installer might sell you the epoxy - or maybe if you drive the motorhome to his shop, could do the job for you for not too much money. Worst case, he/you could cut out the damaged area and replace it with a new piece. If you're lucky, you may even be able to find a scrap (like a sink cutout, etc.) that'll match/blend and use it for the patch.

What about cutting out the crack and a bit more, then make a wooden cutting board to fit the cut out part so it's flush with the rest of the counter?

I was thinking the same as Jim, probably clean well, then epoxy. May try the suction cup method that was shown the guitar repair thread last week or the week before to push the epoxy into the cracks.

May post a pic your cracks may not be the same as what I'm imagining. ;)

Carol, I had a friend who had a similar situation arise in his kitchen. He was able to go to the original installer and get some of epoxy mixture that was colored appropriately for his countertop. The installer told him to hot melt glue clamping block on either side of the crack and then mix up the epoxy. After it was mixed my friend used a popsicle stick to work it into the crack. Then he used his shop vacuum under the cabinet to pull the epoxy deeper into the crack. Once it was filled and over flowing he used a hand screw to pull the crack together while the glue cured. After it was cured he had to sand it and polish it out but today you cannot see the crack unless you really know where to look.

If there are any food residues or grease that have found their way into the crack in your counter top this could affect the adhesion of the glue. It might be necessary to wash and degrease the Corian to get good adhesion.

Clean it with some bleach and warm water. Then let it dry a few days and fill the cracks with crazy glue. Once dry hit it with 220 then 320 and it will be like new again. If you want to keep the sust down wet sand it.

I don't know about Corian. Our home came with a Corian look alike (GE if I remember correctly). Bleach will lighten the color our's enough to be noticeable---like a water spot. It would not look bad at all, if the entire counter were that way. DAMHIKT. Now, a few years later, I can't see the "bleached" area.

While the counter was still under warranty something in the house settled slightly and a crack developed on the inside corner of a right angle turn in the counter. The man came and repaired it so you could not even find it---until 8 or 10 years later. It still does not show unless you are standing right by it and the sunlight through the kitchen window is at the right angle.

I was not here to watch. Sounds like he drilled a small hole at the end of the crack. Then he routed it out 3/8" wide by the length. It did not take him long. However, the poor guy was on the freeway for over three hours (round trip) to get here to do it.

Good luck with it and/or the butcher block top you make.

Enjoy,

JimB

You certainly are having your little ole adventure aren't you!

Oh yes! If you polish the top with an electric polisher with a lamb's wool pad--DO NOT accidently go to high speed. DAMHIKT either.

Last edited:
cracked countertop w/pix

Here are some pictures. First the overall of the kitchen.

kitchen.jpg

Then a few different views. The black strips are the Velcro pieces. I have scraped them off. I also cleaned all of the gunk off. Pretty messy under there and not very appetizing for a kitchen!

Cracked Counter 2.jpg Cracked counter 3.jpg Cracked counter.jpg

Other information: No Corian brand, so just generic solid surface material. The big crack is rather wide and raised on one side.

Options, I've thought about, not in any particular order:
1. replace the entire thing $$$$ with solid surface material
2. replace with something less expensive
3. get the mess professionally repaired - if possible [lady @ HD will provide name of repair place in Vegas]
4. mess with a repair myself - like I have time or experience
5. cut out the cracked section and replace with built in cutting block

The coach is 14 years old. I don't feel the need to replace in kind to maintain value. I am about to be without a shop at all for a bit - like this week! So time is an issue. The shop is already partially dismantled and I am under a deadline to get moved.

What is your collective wisdom now? Thanks.

Last edited:
Those are some pretty nasty cracks :eek:

If it were me I think I'd have an estimate on fixing it. Depending on the price I would cut it out and put in a cutting board like others suggested.
I wonder if putting a hot pan on the counter top did that?? If not maybe they are stress cracks and would happen again?? If they are stress cracks that would certainly make my vote to put in a cutting board.

Bob touched on the point that concerns me. What caused this? Is there something else that needs to be addressed first.
Worth diagnosing so as to not have a repeat once repaired.

My choice for repair would be to leave it temp. Then get moved. Settled and then make a new plywood top cover with sheet of formica and replace.

Dont know if your new mobile shop would permit u to do this amount of work but that would be my choice.:)

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Carol, top has some serious crack going on there. The cause was from hot pot, electric fry pan (grill) or crockpot. I can tell you that is reparable. However the area has thermoformed due to the heat and will need to be cutout and replaced. It can be done in place but will require much cleaning. Can be taken outside to repair that would be best. Will need to cut off damaged end and replace. That's the best way. However if worst comes to worst the repair can be repaired although noticeable. Will need clean real good and apply two part epoxy preferable that it be in color of material. Need to heat material and glue so it flows better. Set up something to catch the residue from below. If you could get some glue designed for it that would be much better. I know glue is available from Integra glues. I have however can not ship or sell to you. Sorry about that wish I could help. It looks as though the top is quite minimal in size so it should be fair on a complete replacement. I like Robs idea of replacement with laminate. The other idea is to build it your self form sheet goods. Simple process to build one. Good luck and if I can help let me know.

Options, I've thought about, not in any particular order:
1. replace the entire thing $$$$ with solid surface material
2. replace with something less expensive
3. get the mess professionally repaired - if possible [lady @ HD will provide name of repair place in Vegas]
4. mess with a repair myself - like I have time or experience
5. cut out the cracked section and replace with built in cutting block
6. Ignore until you get more time, Velcro cutting board back in place on top, eventually replace with your own counter made of sheet goods and laminate.

Brent, you are partially right. But I will not Velcro the board back. Dark spaces rich in moisture and nutrients breed vermin I don't need. Instead, I will put clear packing tape over the cracks, depriving the vermin air, more moisture and more nutrients. Starve the little buggers, I say! Then I will park the cutting board over the taped area. Later I will effect a more aesthetic and permanent repair.

Thanks, folks for your information. I will revisit this when the time is at hand.

Given the severity and size of the gaps I'd be concerned that a patch wouldn't look good or hold up, but lets see what Ed Sautter has to say. I'd probably go for replacing it all together myself. Clean it up for now, seal the crack via tape or epoxy, and put a nice cutting board over it when parked to hide it.\

That or remove the drawer below and cut a hole for one of these... :D

Attachments

• gaggenau-appliances-vf-411-vario-electric-deep-fryer.JPG
    gaggenau-appliances-vf-411-vario-electric-deep-fryer.JPG
    32.1 KB · Views: 39
I'd cut it out and put in the cutting block.

However, in Vegas there's likely to be a cabinet shop. They have dumpsters. We have an industrial cabinet place in our town, and the Corian and other solid stuff they throw away is easily big enough to patch into that space. Heck, if you lived even a couple states closer I'd give you some of the pieces I've retrieved from their throw-away pile. It just needs solid backing, two good mating edges cut with a router (I'd bet you know how to do that : and some epoxy to keep it from moving. Then a ROS with increasingly fine grades of paper up to 400 or so.

If you are going to repair or replace it later forget the packing tape and fill the crack with epoxy. The tape wont keep the bugs out for very long and will peel off and let moisture in when you clean the counter.