New item from EWT - The Easy Chuck

Kerry Burton

Gee ... my first post in just over a year! :doh:

Has anyone here gotten their hands on a pre-release copy of the EWT Easy Chuck? (If you have, you probably can't tell us about it, right?)

The chuck seems to have a couple of pretty cool and innovative features, so I tried to find a price at various woodturning supply places. I only found one so far, and it was (cough!) $500. Given that it's Made in America by a primo outfit, perhaps I shouldn't have been surprised.

I'll be interested in any firsthand reports after it hits the shelves. (Dec 15 according to the EWT website ... just in time for you-know-what!)

Over priced I think - ill stick with my Super Nova chucks - maybe a bit more fuss than the EWT but also cheaper...........Don't get me wrong I have 2 of his carbide lathe tools and i really like them with great quality.

$500??:huh: I bit steep if you ask me. No way I'm buying a chuck thast costs $100 less than a really nice VS 12" lathe.

I'm sure that they are top drawer, I'd love one, but man, that is a bit of cash.
I doubt they are made by the thousand, so maybe they are aiming for the high end market, best of luck to them!

Ya, I can't lay out that kind of money for one, But, it sure would be nice to have a quick way to change jaws on a chuck like that. I wish them success. How many people have that value in chucks because they bought more than one so they wouldn't have to be changing jaws all the time? I own two chucks and lots of jaws, for that reason mostly. The difference it wasn't that big of a layout at once, but spread over several years.

Hey Kerry! Good to see ya! :wave:

...How many people have that value in chucks because they bought more than one so they wouldn't have to be changing jaws all the time?...

This is a very good point, although like you said, the money is usually spent over time, not all at once.

Looks like a great chuck. I'll be interested in seeing how well it sells.

Seems everyone pretty much agrees; great looking chuck and terrific idea but lots of $'s.
I also agree with Paul and Vaughn; I've collected seven Novas over the last three + years and most were wuttenbuts on ebay. Added up I've spent about $600 with different jaws on each and still have a set of 25mm, powergrips, and mini coles to sell to offset some of that.

That would be handy since I hate changing jaws constantly, but can't handle the price... I have two Barracuda's from PSI, and a chuck from Grizzly with a single set of jaws.... and a small cmgc chuck from PSI.... between the four, I can just about forgo too many jaw changes.... wish the grizzly had come with extra jaws... at just over $50 could have bought several and never had to change jaws.... also would like one of the Nova's or Oneways or even one of PSI's with the single key, but have what I have and they work, so I'll just keep working with my tommy bars.

On the subject of changing jaws, am I the only one here who doesn't hate it?

For starters, really don't have change them very often. 80 to 90 percent of my turning us done with the 50mm jaws. And when I do change them, I have a hex bit for my drill that makes it a very quick process. Does anyone else use power assistance for changing the jaws?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not me Vaughn. I guess I am just lazy. I bought a Vicmarc VM100 and then found out that grizzly had the clone of it. I have 5 griz chucks with different jaws on them. I have about as much invested in those 5 as one EWT chuck. lol

I hate changing jaws therefore I have 10 chucks now. I am planning on getting a couple more Vicmarcs. I bought the majority of my chucks used through various websites or club sales.

That said the Easy Chuck has some very innovative features that I would enjoy. The quick jaw change would certainly be nice. Knocking off the sharp corners on the jaws is also a great idea but Lee Valley sells a brightly colored stretch band to fit over the chuck to protect your hands from the jaws. The Zoom ring is a great idea. I would love to be able to quickly open or close my jaws without using a key wrench. $500 is a killer for me when you can buy 3 Super Nova II's for almost the same price on the Woodcraft site.

I have not considered using a drill driver to loosen and tighten the chuck jaw screws. Great idea Vaughn. See why it is beneficial to frequent these forums. You can almost always learn something.