It was just so complete I had to get it...

Lee Thomas

Well, that's what I keep telling myself anyway! I had in fact passed this saw once already and even the $20.00 price tag the first time did not hook me. Well, fast forward 2 weeks and I have been beaten down by this little saw and it's persistant calling me to bring it home. Sure, it's just a 150 mile ride to pick it up and all, but I think the price made up for it.

1950's 8" Craftsman saw with the original stand, motor, fancy "Powr Panl" switch and both table wings.. Restoration is now in que. :thumb:

ts-1.jpg

ts-6.jpg

ts-9.jpg

I had to do a double take to see why Jeff Horton or Greg Cook did not post this :rofl:

I think it is a great saw Lee, and it looks in really good shape too :thumb:

I imagine you can do a "Light" restore on that one and have a good functional saw. Maybe set it up for Dados only.... :dunno:

Is this, or will this be your "Only" TS, or are you starting a collection :D

Cheers!

Right now I am thinking about putting my tilt top Delta in storage and building this one into a rolling cabinet. It is a neat old saw, and it still has a 2.5" cut depth. (vs 3.25" on my Delta) I want a rolling cabinet like that gray & tan one that was in a recent shop notes, but I can't build the Delta tilty into a base like that due to the way it's designed. I am going to design the base so that I can easily upgrade the saw with a little rebuild on the top and maybe an alter to the router table end. I will use the super cool "Powr Panl" but the stand & extensions will be taken apart and placed in storage in case I wish to resell the saw down the road.

Lee, I have never seen one with the base before! Thats got to be rare. May not be worth much but it would be to me. I am very fond of that era Craftsman saw.

BTW, be careful if you polish the machine turned metal trim. The turnings are very thin. I polished through a small spot on my Drill press.

Thanks for the heads up Jeff.. I may need to re-jewel a few lines to repair a damaged section as it is. It can be done in a drill press if you are carefull but you have to start at one edge and redo the enitre line to make it work.

Hi Lee,

I used to have one a lot like that, similar base, but mine had 2x4's around the bottom for replacement casters. I had to add a new switch too, as when I got it the wiring was all pulled apart, they told me at the store where I bought it that the previous owner had been trying to get the motor to run backwards so he could cut tenon cheeks without running the stock through backwards :eek: :eek: :eek:

Nice saw, yours looks to be in very good condition.

Those are great little saws. I tried to buy a similar one that a guy had when I got my Crescent jointer from him, but he was using it and didn't want to part with it. His had the base like yours, I'm not sure that is rare as Jeff suggests, but it could be.

He also had a similar Craftsman band saw with a similar stand, I don't know too much about them but figure they must have been from the same era.