Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: sketchup free version ? pro version?

sketchup free version ? pro version?

I just started playing with sketchup for the first time. I downloaded the free version which seems pretty basic. I printed out a sketchup 8 ref. card but there seem to be twice as many icons on the reference card as there are on the sketchup tool bar.

the reference card says sketchup 8. Is there more than one free down load or am I just doing something wrong?

The website also says I can try sketchup pro for 30 days for free. It is something I might like to have. Is it very similar to the free version so as I would gain a lot of knowledge by playing with the free version for a bit and then I would be able to make better use of pro for the trial?

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    moston here use the free version and it seemsto do everything needed. Dave Richards is the sketchup guru hereas well as publishing tuts on various woodworking web sites.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by keith Boutselis View Post
    ...there seem to be twice as many icons on the reference card as there are on the sketchup tool bar.

the reference card says sketchup 8. Is there more than one free down load or am I just doing something wrong? ...
    Nothing wrong - you just havent selected enough tools yet.

Go to "View" - "toolbars" and select the large tool set. There are also several other selections in "View" so you can play around a bit until you get things looking like you want them.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim DeLaney View Post
    Nothing wrong - you just havent selected enough tools yet.

Go to "View" - "toolbars" and select the large tool set. There are also several other selections in "View" so you can play around a bit until you get things looking like you want them.
    Ohhhhhhh.
    large tool set. that worked nice. thanks.

Keith,

As to the icons, SketchUp does start with a very basic set on purpose. The idea is to help new users avoid getting overwhelmed by a whole lot of tools. Start basic and learn good modeling techniques (make components of parts as you go, draw with precision, etc.) Then add other tools as you go.

You can do as Jim said and choose the Large Tool Set but if you do, deselect Getting Started or you'll wind up with a number of duplicated tools which can be confusing and is just a waste of screen real estate. My preference is to enable individual toolbars instead of using the Large Tool Set. I have the following native toolbars turned on.
    • Camera
    • Construction
    • Drawing
    • Styles
    • Modification
    • Principal
    • Sections
    • Shadows
    • Standard
    • Views
    You might also turn on the Google toolbar but it's probably not that useful when you are just starting out.

As to the trial version of SketchUp Pro, I would suggest that you stick with the free version for now. Learn to use SketchUp without the 8 hour time limit and then, if you start to think you need the additional capabilities of Pro, download it and give it a try.

Check out the Design. Click. Build. blog on Finewoodworking.com.
    Irony: The opposite of Wrinkly

By the way, you might take a look at this video as well as this one to get some ideas about how I go through drawing a piece of furniture. They aren't intended as basic tutorials (there's a DVD for that) but just to give an idea of the workflow.

I am working on sketching a wall unit around my fireplace. the problem i'm running into is the screen is not wide or high enough for me to go to scale in inches. the top or bottom of the project is cut off and I do not have much room on the sides but mostly the height I need more of.

I picked inches for the unit and I think it said something about wood working (cant remember exactly)

what would you use to design a wall unit 163" wide?

Keith,

It sounds like you're an AutoCAD user.

You don't work to some scale other than 1:1. Inches is just fine. Zoom back with the center mouse scroll wheel until you can see the whole thing. Look for a PM in a few minutes.

I'll reiterate what Dave just mentioned, be sure to use a scroll mouse. Go through the basic tutorials before doing the pro version.

Darren VIA tapatalk
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Wright View Post
    I'll reiterate what Dave just mentioned, be sure to use a scroll mouse. Go through the basic tutorials before doing the pro version.

Darren VIA tapatalk
    that took care of my problem. I did the first video but I don't remember them mentioning scrolling back and forward. I'm on the second video now.
    thanks for the help.