This is one project that I've really needed but have been putting off as I just didn't know what I wanted in a drill press table. One of the ideas I incorporated came from Ronald Walters http://woodgears.ca/reader/walters/d...ess_table.html .
I kind of copied what he did with the crank for raising and lowering the table. I'm also going to end up permanently attaching a 3/8" ratchet to the locking mechinism for the table as the one that came with it is useless!. The shaft used to extend the handle came from a 4 way lug wrench that was rusting away in the scrap metal pile. I also used some scrap 1/2" copper pipe as bushings for the shaft to pass thru the phenolic.
Topside I made the replaceable insert 5-1/2" square and offset it to the right and back. I did this so I get four fresh faces per side for when I need to prevent tearout from drilling thru pieces. I also have 2 extra inserts. I went with this size insert as this is what was left from cutting the mdf for the top to size.
The fence is simple for the time being. Just a piece of 3/4" ply and its held in place with some home made knobs in T slots.