Making Tool for Captured Hollowing System?

Mike Turner

I am just about finished making my captured hollower system. Now I need to make or buy the cutting tool/gouge etc for it. The only piece of metal I have is an ancient piece of 3/4" round rod from some kind of thing that looks like a sign hung on it. It is about 23" long. I sanded/cleaned it up using my die grinder but it is still rough and sort of pitted looking but probably would be good enough for this. ...I turn mostly medium sized bowls and hollow forms now. I was wondering how long this hollowing tool needs to be and how much of the metal should be in the handle....I am new to making these tools...Ive got plenty of wood for the handles. Any ideas greatly appreciated!!!

I'm confused...wood handles on a captured hollowing rig? Also, pitted is not good. You want the boring bar (the piece that the cutting bit is attached to) to be smooth and slide easily on the tool rest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike, the boring bar itself is typically round. The capture bars in the back are usually made from square tubing. I thought you were making a "D handle" rig all along, so I'm still a bit confused. What parts do you have so far?