Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advent Candle Stand

Advent Candle Stand

My wife asked me to come up with a design for an Advent candle stand so I doodled up this.

It's based on a table lamp I built a few years ago. I figured if I wind up building it, I'll make two and make the other one a floor lamp. the only difference is the length of the cross arms at the top.

The tapered vertical pieces are cut with a dovetail cutter so they fit together leaving a space up the center for a power cord. It's a little fiddly to get the cutter set exactly right but once it is, the pieces are easily cut--they're identical--and easy to assemble.
    Irony: The opposite of Wrinkly

nice!! you even have the correct color candles represented.... I like it very much
    Remember the tea kettle - it is always up to its neck in hot water, yet it
    still sings!

Looks very nice. Make the supporting cross arms long enough to keep the small candle heat away from the big candle. Ours is too close and it, sadly, melts the main candle from the bottom. Wadda mess.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Thank you, gentlemen. Frank I can't remember the dimensions for those arms but I don't think it'll be a problem.

Very nice! Now, quick, without looking it up, what are the names of the five candles? I can never remember from one Advent to the next. I think the pink candle is the Mary candle...
    Cheers,
    Roger

The other member of Mensa, but not the NRA

Everyone is a self-made person.

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their veracity" -Abraham Lincoln

Thanks Roger.

All I know is they are purple, pink and white.

I had a request for plans for this. I'm combining the two pieces into a single plan and I'll include plans for the lampshade but... I'm trying to find a source for some glass that looks very much like the mica that might have been used for this at one time. You can still get mica but it is kind of spendy so I'm thinking maybe there's some glass that would be less expensive. White opal glass will surely not cut it.

Any ideas? I've checked a number of stained glass supply web sites but haven't hit the right thing, yet.
    Last edited by Dave Richards; 11-30-2012 at 02:11 PM.

Dave,

One of the projects on my list is a pair of lamps with shades similar to yours. I'll probably use some acrylic sheets, which are a lot cheaper than real mica. They are in solid colors but I'll do some scroll pieces to dress them up a bit.
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

Thanks, Bill. I'll search around and see if I can find some fake mica in plastic.

The fake mica may be a closer match. Another would probably be an Amber Glue Chip pattern that some glass makers make...http://www.rainbowartglass.com/index...roductId=10463

It may take having someone with a kiln to bake in some paints to make a piece look more realistic though.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault