Advent Candle Stand

Dave Richards

My wife asked me to come up with a design for an Advent candle stand so I doodled up this.

It's based on a table lamp I built a few years ago. I figured if I wind up building it, I'll make two and make the other one a floor lamp. the only difference is the length of the cross arms at the top.

The tapered vertical pieces are cut with a dovetail cutter so they fit together leaving a space up the center for a power cord. It's a little fiddly to get the cutter set exactly right but once it is, the pieces are easily cut--they're identical--and easy to assemble.

Looks very nice. Make the supporting cross arms long enough to keep the small candle heat away from the big candle. Ours is too close and it, sadly, melts the main candle from the bottom. Wadda mess. :(

I had a request for plans for this. I'm combining the two pieces into a single plan and I'll include plans for the lampshade but... I'm trying to find a source for some glass that looks very much like the mica that might have been used for this at one time. You can still get mica but it is kind of spendy so I'm thinking maybe there's some glass that would be less expensive. White opal glass will surely not cut it.

Any ideas? I've checked a number of stained glass supply web sites but haven't hit the right thing, yet.

Last edited:
Dave,

One of the projects on my list is a pair of lamps with shades similar to yours. I'll probably use some acrylic sheets, which are a lot cheaper than real mica. They are in solid colors but I'll do some scroll pieces to dress them up a bit.