After I win the PowerBall...

Not surprisingly I work in an office full of fellow nerds, so of course we were working numbers on plausible safe return rates, etc..

The short conclusion was that after somewhere between 5 and 30 million any of us would be well enough off that the extra money would be pretty much arbitrary. I don't discount that we may all be suffering from a lack of imagination (none of us having had anything close to that).

This of course begged the question why it seems that the higher $$ jackpots are so much more exciting than the lower $$ jackpots since any of them would have pretty much the same life changing effects. Some of the rough stats seem that it might even be worse odds at higher $$'s (odds of >1 winner possibly lowering expected rate of return), and some of the lower $$ lotteries have much higher odds of winning - of course if you're working the odds on the lottery you haven't figured out that its a tax on people who can't do math :rofl:

I'm in the office pool, since I can't risk having my co-workers all win without me. I figure even though the odds are impossibly low the insurance is worth it :D

I might buy it as an investment, but to live in? No way, want to change a lightbulb, has to ask permission, I bet they would not allow you to do just about anything without some city official being involved, thanks, but no thanks!

After living in Tokyo for the past 22 years, if I were to come into a LOT of money, no matter which country I ended up in, I'd be buying a piece of land backed up against a hill with good water, and a nice view, then I'd build a house. I'd like the situation that I think Larry said at one time, where you could walk out on your front porch and shoot a shotgun in just about any direction and no neighbours would care at all, that is what I want thank you! :D

I might buy it as an investment, but to live in? No way, want to change a lightbulb, has to ask permission, I bet they would not allow you to do just about anything without some city official being involved, thanks, but no thanks!

After living in Tokyo for the past 22 years, if I were to come into a LOT of money, no matter which country I ended up in, I'd be buying a piece of land backed up against a hill with good water, and a nice view, then I'd build a house. I'd like the situation that I think Larry said at one time, where you could walk out on your front porch and shoot a shotgun in just about any direction and no neighbours would care at all, that is what I want thank you! :D

Stu,
I hear ya, re the house in the country.

I agree also, re the G&G house. At best you could be a caretaker there, not really 'live' there, it would be much the same with one of my favorite architect's houses Frank Lloyd Wright, I mean try and imagine living in Fallingwater... just boggles the mind.

, I'd be buying a piece of land backed up against a hill with good water, and a nice view, then I'd build a house. I'd like the situation that I think Larry said at one time, where you could walk out on your front porch and shoot a shotgun in just about any direction and no neighbours would care at all, that is what I want thank you! :D

I already won the lottery per Stu's response and LOVE IT What more would I need........:thumb:

e. I'd like the situation that I think Larry said at one time, where you could walk out on your front porch and shoot a shotgun in just about any direction and no neighbours would care at all, that is what I want thank you! :D

well, Im sorta living in that situation right now. Id like to walk out on my front porch and shoot at my neighbor.
youre all out of luck.

this morning I took the morning off and went to get a pair of sneakers and run some errands.(the pharmacy for one, I know them so well now Im thinking about inviting them over for my parties)

when I came out of the sneaker store, I tossed my cup of coffee, and as I was about to shove the bag into the trash container, I noticed right there on top, there were two bill. A 5 and a 10 dollar bill.. Sitting in the trash, so Im guessing someone came out of the store, or one of the stores, had change in their hand, tossed their garbage, and let go of the bills also.
So I went back into the card store, took that 15 and added 5 more, and Im set for tonights drawing.

my plans when I hit-

first, and most important, secure my childrens financial future, then secure my brothers and sisters future, then down the line, take care of the nieces and nephews, a small portion for a few charities I trust, a small island in the bahamas(wouldnt spend more than 30 million on that), and a custom built house somewhere in the northeast with a 2000 sq foot shop and a few acres land.

after that, Im ok, as long as I get some 220 lines and cyclone dust collector in my new shop so everytime I use the mitre saw with the heater on, I dont have to run over in the dark to the panel and throw the circuit breaker.

I wouldn't want all that money. I've figured out that If I win I'll take care of the kids and grand kids. Not enough to spoil them though. Buy all the kids new houses and college funds for the grandkids.

Pay off my house and bills, renovate the house, build a shop and put about 3 million in the bank. I figure that I can live pretty comfortable the rest of my life on 3 mill :)
The rest (almost 175 mill :eek:)I would give it all away to the Chrildrens hospital, Shriners Burn Instutite, Make a wish foundation, and make sure that any Veteran that needed a helping hand would get it.

Oh ya, and host one heck of a FWW party :beer:

I wouldn't want all that money. I've figured out that If I win I'll take care of the kids and grand kids. Not enough to spoil them though. Buy all the kids new houses and college funds for the grandkids.

Pay off my house and bills, renovate the house, build a shop and put about 3 million in the bank. I figure that I can live pretty comfortable the rest of my life on 3 mill :)
The rest (almost 175 mill :eek:)I would give it all away to the Chrildrens hospital, Shriners Burn Instutite, Make a wish foundation, and make sure that any Veteran that needed a helping hand would get it.

Oh ya, and host one heck of a FWW party :beer:
I like your style! :thumb:

Sorry if i had to win power ball i would not want to live in SoCal with all the congestion. Noooooo. You can always create your own G&G house for that money. :)

What are you talking about with that congestio sdlfkif . . . Hey! Watch it! . . . Sorry, my next door neighbor bumped my arm while I was typing and he's sitting in his living room :D. Just because we can borrow a cup of sugar from the nieghbors without leaving the house doesn't make things congested. It is a wee bit cozy though. Every time my dust collector shuts down I can hear my neighbor's front yard fountain pump. Sheesh!

First thing I'm going to do is buy up all the rest of "The Tree" so we'll have firewood for the FWW bash! ;)

Family will all be set, then setup the rest to fund charities...preferably where the money is working for itself and renewing itself for long term support of those charities.

for me, i would not take the lump sum, why give our favorite uncle any more than i need to. buy a nice big farm, lease it out to some good farmer for a dollar a year, set up the immediate family, then on a part of said farm, i'd build a very big shop, with 40x100 pole barns (heated of course), one for domestic, and one for exotic hardwoods. almost forgot, there would be a house attached to the shop too.

after that, Im ok, as long as I get some 220 lines and cyclone dust collector in my new shop so everytime I use the mitre saw with the heater on, I dont have to run over in the dark to the panel and throw the circuit breaker.

Heck Allen, you could hire a guy to stand next to your panel and throw the breaker for you :D