Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My humble shop

My humble shop

Well, I've been renting some space for my shop for about 6 months now and my cabinet and cabinet refacing business has taken off the ground, slowly but surely. I have three kitchens under my belt, a couple of vanities and some small furniture pieces.

The name of my business is Forest Heart Cabinetry, LLC. (I love that name).

Here's my logo. It still needs a little color but I plan on having it carved on a nice maple board by CNC.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FH_LOGO.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	23.9 KB 
ID:	71908

So here is my shop. Keep in mind that I am in the middle of planing 80 BF of maple; hence the all the sawdust! The place is a mess and Iam in the middle of building another work surface for assembly so I don't take up all the space on the saw out feed table.

Front entrance

Name:	2012-11-26 09.31.47.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	59.6 KB 
ID:	71909

My panel saw:

Name:	2012-11-26 09.31.35.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	51.2 KB 
ID:	71910

Jointer and planer. Complete with mountains of saw dust(I am using my Hitachi TS as a dedicated dado cutter:

Name:	2012-11-26 09.30.50.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	64.9 KB 
ID:	71911

Band saw

Name:	2012-11-26 09.30.58.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	64.5 KB 
ID:	71912

RAS (has become almost indispensable for cutting rough lumber to size):

Name:	2012-11-26 09.32.18.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	51.7 KB 
ID:	71913

Grizzly shaper:

Name:	2012-11-26 09.31.06.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	53.6 KB 
ID:	71914

Router table with the MLCS motorized router lift (very handy):

Name:	2012-11-26 09.32.03.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	63.7 KB 
ID:	71915

Powermatic 64 table saw with 52" rail (very much under powered) I need to do some adjusting to reduce some vibration:

Name:	2012-11-26 09.31.18.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	67.7 KB 
ID:	71916

A view showing the back of the shop and the TS outfeed table which also acts as an assembly and general working area:

Name:	2012-11-26 09.31.29.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	60.2 KB 
ID:	71917

how do you like that powerlift from mlcs?

Ive been waiting months to purchase one, they cant seem to get them in stock.
    Human Test Dummy

As you can see its a mess. I am working on organizing things. I have something like 30' ceiling so I am planning to build a second floor (if business goes well) where I will do all my finishing. I am counting on my theory that dust settles downward so the second floor should be relatively dust free or at least easier to keep dust free.

My biggest problem right now is that I only have 120V service. In fact, I only have ONE outlet!! I have to plug each machine when I need to use it.

I am working on bartering with an electrician to come and add a few more outlets and to put in 220V service so I can install my cyclone and use my 80 gal compressor.

Right now I am running a multiple outlet cord so I can plug in the router, the 5 gal compressor, and the extension for the TS and all the other machines. Thing is, I cant have two things going at the same time or the breaker, which is in another unit, will trip. Then I have to wait till the tenant gets back so I can go in and re set the darn thing! Its all very entertaining!

Slowly but surely I will solve all those things. It all boils down to just one thing; having the money to do it.

Hope you guys enjoyed the tour.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2012-11-26 09.31.02.jpg  

I feel your pain about having only one outlet. My workshop is my driveway, and it's hard to heat so I don't do woodworking in the winter. I'm having an electrician install two 20amp outlets for me before spring. I usually keep all the stationary tools I am using plugged in, and turn on only one at a time. I wish I had your space!
    Cheers,
    Roger

The other member of Mensa, but not the NRA

Everyone is a self-made person.

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their veracity" -Abraham Lincoln

I really like it. Its very convenient. Makes changing bits a breeze and you can adjust the height speed to very small increments which is great for fine tuning. You can reset a certain height so you can get to it again and again.

I dont think its industrial quality. The router plate is only 1/4" thick which is alright, but it is not as thick as others I have seen at woodcraft. Only thing is its a bit pricey but I think it is somewhat worth it. I would recommend it with reservations.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Tulk View Post
    I feel your pain about having only one outlet. My workshop is my driveway, and it's hard to heat so I don't do woodworking in the winter. I'm having an electrician install two 20amp outlets for me before spring. I usually keep all the stationary tools I am using plugged in, and turn on only one at a time. I wish I had your space!
    Its not ideal that's for sure. With my back the way it is it is a huge pain in the you-know-what.

I live in Florida so heating is not a problem but cooling is!

Quote Originally Posted by allen levine View Post
    how do you like that powerlift from mlcs?

Ive been waiting months to purchase one, they cant seem to get them in stock.
    Be aware that it requires a certain size router diameter. Not all routers will fit and it is not adjustable. I am using a PC 3HP variable speed router, only one I could find that would fit it. So all in all the thing cost about 500$ with the router!

Great looking space Julio! Looks like you're keeping quite busy.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Nice big space for sure! That's a cute little panel saw, very cool.

Only having one 110v outlet though you have my sympathies.

Quote Originally Posted by Julio Navarro View Post
    Be aware that it requires a certain size router diameter. Not all routers will fit and it is not adjustable. I am using a PC 3HP variable speed router, only one I could find that would fit it. So all in all the thing cost about 500$ with the router!
    yeah, I plan on swapping out my milaukee router in the table now and getting a PC variable speed for the lift.
    Human Test Dummy