2nd Job offer in as many weeks.

Ned Bulken

Well folks, I get home from work today and I find an email replying to a job I had applied for a couple of weeks ago, in photography this time, still field work, albeit not on the road per se, rather I would be handing a territory with a company car. Now this job is very appealing, but I"m pretty happy with my new job, and I'm loathe to job hop... going to think things over and have a LONG talk with the LOML.

I'm in a serious quandry, had this job been offered two weeks ago, I wouldn't have taken the current position, but I've got some weighing in to do before I make any move.

Edit...
Just adding fuel to the fire, read through the documents, and I wonder... could I really handle driving a company Prius around 5 days a week? Hmmmm

Last edited:
Hey Ned,
That's great! Makes you feel good to be wanted, don't it.

Actually, the same thing has happened to me a couple of times. If I were going to give any advice, I would say don't let the fact that you accepted the first offer weigh in too heavily. You owe it to yourself and your family to follow the best opportunity.

This happened to me as a manager a couple of times, too. Its just a fact of life that new hires still have one foot in the market. I was p***ed at the time, but never held it against the guy who went on to something he thought was better.

Good luck!:thumb: :thumb:
Jess

Jesse,
sure does. I'm starting to lean quickly towards the new offer, but I need to discuss it with the LOML, Who... is not home. Auuuuugh!

On the positive note, I've progressed enough at the installer job that I'm going solo tomorrow. We're 'behind' on our project so burning a little overtime at $15/hr. (base rate) I can handle that.

Well, I don't know your company and I am like you. I hate to quit once I take a job. But the other side of the coin, they wouldn't hesitate to let you go if something changed.

Just a tid-bit to keep in back of your mind.

I was laid off twice during my career and, each time, spent some time trying to line up a new job that was right for me and for my family. Each of these times once I received a job offer, I received others shortly thereafter. Once I stuck with the first offer. The other time, I backed out of the first offer that I had accepted and took one of the follow-ups.

There is no obvious right answer to the dilemma that you find yourself in Ned. I hope that whatever you choose works out well for you.

Ned - it does feel good to be wanted. I'd look into it further. Do you know why the position was available in the first place? If someone left, why? Can you talk with others in the company at your level to get a feel for how they like the company? What's the company's financial status? Compare the total package inlcuding healthcare and bonus incentives etc.

Look out for numero uno first. Then look out for me second! :p

both jobs have pluses and minuses, one very large plus for the current job vs the offer is that I wouldn't be tied to this area, once the LOML and I get the house ready to sell, we could relocate the family wherever we choose, and I could continue to work wherever the job takes me. Travel being a large part of the job.
I have advancement opportunities with my current company, in fact, I expect I'll be moving up within 6 months to a year to a supervisor position. First however, I need to learn the basic job so that I can get that down. Already, I can see that it is going to be a 'fun' challenge for me come the warmer weather, since I'm somewhat 'well insulated' :rofl: :rolleyes:

Ned, I was in a similar situation several years ago when I was offered a job in a different division within the same corporation. LOML gave me good advise, “Loyalties are important but you have to do what’s best for you”. I took the job even though I hadn’t been in the current position all that long. I felt bad about it for awhile but it was the best move of my working career.

Good luck to you.

Ned,

I would approach it like you have received the job offers at the same time... You have had some experience (1 week) at one of the jobs, and also experience in the area of the other job (photography). Now have to make a decision as to which company you want to work for, and which offer you have before you, are you going to give your... "final answer"!

Weigh all the pluses and minuses (write them down in the infamous left/right columns on a piece of paper, and also talk to your wife in detail so you are both on the same page (even if she gives you the last word). Picture yourself 5, 10, 15 and more years from now, at each company, and "see if it feels good".

(I have a personal idea as to which one you should choose, but I'll keep it a secret for now.... :D)

Just another point of view...

Greg has some good advice for you Ned, I'd take it a step further. After you've done your "due diligence" with LOUL etc, then have a frank conversation with your boss at the current job. Explain the facts and ask them to give you some perspective on your future there. I wouldn't apologize about the situation, it is just a matter of timing and you didn't actively go out and seek another postion.

good luck!

Jay

I've been in that position, and made both decisions.
You just have to do what feels right for you.

I left a job once on a Friday with no where to go. Answered an ad on Monday morning. Monday afternoon They offered me the position, of course the employer I left, The manager was literally at my door wanting me back. HMMMM decisions decisions. Lets just say i made the wrong one. :D I should have checked into the new job a bit more, I would have went back to the old one. 20/20 hindsight.

Well, the LOML and I did the whole column thing, twice, weighed all of the facts on the jobs, and I'm going to stick with where I'm at. We want to move within the next 6 months to a year, and while the new offer also has sites elsewhere in the country, the installation job allows me to earn more money AND the flexibility of not mattering where the family lives. We could move next month and so long as I showed up for work, the boss wouldn't mind one bit.
I really liked the idea of zipping around in the company prius, but the income potential wasn't as high. Also, I'm not a good 'salesman' and I got the impression that it was partly a sales job.

I'm really glad for you, Ned. (staying was my personal choice too.) I'm glad you had the opportunity to weigh both possibilities, and the compliment that others appreciate your value to their organiation. Now you can focus on making the most of your current position and advancement within the company. Make the best of it....and good luck.

I give up. :eek: :rolleyes: :confused: :bang:
Evidently despite thinking that 'we' had decided I would stay where I am, the lOML came home from her overnight shift at the fire house this morning and blind-sides me with 'what were the options on the other job again'. SO...all bets are off. Her big issue is the 'what if' things hit the fan and I'm in Florida.

Going to get back to you once the dust settles, I"m going in.... to have even MORE heart to heart discussions with the LOML. Wish me luck. :eek: :dunno: