Arts and Crafts Style Floor Lamp

Dave Richards

I've been working on the floor lamp which spun off the Advent candle stand. I've got several people waiting for plans for this and the candle stand so I've been searching for materials and such. A little Google searching turned up with several suppliers of sheet mica for lamp shades. Now I need to sort out whether the mica needs a glass or acrylic backing to support it. The stuff is quite thin and I don't want it to sag and fall out of the shade frame.

While I'm waiting to hear back from the mica suppliers about that I figured I'd give the lamp some context. The overall height of the lamp with the shade is about 76 in. Is that too tall? I usually think most floor lamps are too short. What do you think?

After I've sorted out the mica for the shade I need to work out the joinery for the lamp shade parts and add that to the plan, too. I was thinking about the construction of the shade frame and guessing this might be one of those projects for which Bridge City's Joint Maker Pro would be handy. It's a lot of money but it could be a nice tool for this.

i would say your height is a little to tall comparing with my side lights dave, mine is around 60" to the top. makin it easy to reach the switch to turn it on..

Like the style Dave but shade looks a wee bit to small. On off just solve with footswitch. :) Dont have to have long arms.:)

Will say u seem to be taking the easy route making lampshade square as opposed to say octagonal would add a bit more change and approx round.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Rob, maybe it looks too small because of the height of the lamp. It's 24 in. square.

As to the octagon, I'm not a fan of octagonal lamp shades on Arts and Crafts pieces. Just my opinion, I guess.

Dave, I just completed the floor lamp shown in the attached photo and it is 66 inches tall. I wouldn't want it to be any taller.

Floor lamp base -36 -Shade lowerd by 8 centimetres =small.JPG

My shade is 20 inches at the base but even if that was 24 inches, I wouldn't want it to be any higher.

I like your design, I really do think that the lamp is too high.

Last edited:
Thanks, Frank.

I've already made it a little shorter. I just haven't had any time to make a new image to show that.

Yours is a nice lamp. Did you make the shade?