router question..depth adjustment

larry merlau

i have a hitachi m12v in a table, its a plunge type router with the springs removed and a router razer installed.. my question is when fully raised i have a half inch of tubes showing before the base plate.. is that normal or is mine dirty and not giving me full adjustment.. i need another 1/8th for the operation i am attempting.. i new i should have got a PRL lift years ago:)

I am assuming you all ready checked/removed the depth gauge on the router??????
The only things that would stop it from going down/up is the depth gauge stop and bottoming out the tubes.

Latty,
As we discussed when I was up there in September, I have exactly the same setup. I just checked mine, and the motor lifts up all the way - no tubes showing. The motor butts directly against the base. I do have the depth guage removed on mine - don't recall whether you do too, or not.

It might also be caused by the Router Raizer bottoming out. If you recall, we talked about that in September, too. I'd had to take mine completely apart for cleaning the tubes, the body, and reassembly/adjustment of the Raizer.

I think it's the weak point in using the M12V in a table. Things gunk up (technical term :D ) and have to be disassembled periodically for cleaning and readjustment.

When replacement time comes, I think I might bite the bullet for a lift and a 7518. If I go the cheaper route, it might be a Triton, though.

ok jim, the gray base area meets the gray tube support.. no black tube showing? and as for the depth stop i think so but cant remember.. also its been so long since i put the router rasier on that i couldnt tell you how if you asked me:)

ok jim, the gray base area meets the gray tube support.. no black tube showing? and as for the depth stop i think so but cant remember.. also its been so long since i put the router rasier on that i couldnt tell you how if you asked me:)

1. Yeah - no black tube showing. Depth stop turret has been removed from mine, btw.

2. Google the Raizer, and there's detailed instructions on their website. The instructions have been upgraded/revised since I originally installed mine. I think the new ones are bit less complicated.

well jim without checking the depth stop on mine this where i get on adjustment..View attachment 72001

Looks like you're about half an inch shy of where mine will adjust to. Try taking the Raizer off and see if it'll go further. If not, then it's time to disassemble and clean/lube the router again. If it does go further after removing the Raizer, then hit their website and reinstall according to the instructions. I did both the last time, to mine.

As we talked about earlier, I end up having to mess with mine about once a year. YMMV...

well DUMMY here:) as the great wize one said it was dirty inside.. which caused it to stop a half inch from being fully adjustable after reading instructions on dismantle sent to me from jim, i got it apart and sure enough there was enough saw dust in there to keep it from closing complely with the springs still in jim.. it was dirty on one side only??? but tis enough to stop travel by half inch so next time i will know to take apart to clean again but i do have one last question how does one move those start keepers jim they act like they are made to go one way not back and forth like needed to get it apart regularly.. anyway this mystery is solved thanks to this forum's wisdom and generous help offered.. off to the router table in the am to make some new saw dust:)

...how does one move those start keepers jim they act like they are made to go one way not back and forth like needed to get it apart regularly.. anyway this mystery is solved thanks to this forum's wisdom and generous help offered.. off to the router table in the am to make some new saw dust:)

Those 'keepers' are a pain to remove or reinstall. I used a pair of pliers underneath them - to support both sides - and tried to gently slide them back up the shaft. BTW, if you call the Raizer company (Customer Support: 1-866-266-1293) they'll send you some new ones. They sent me half a dozen of those, and a couple of the 'plugs' for the table insert, just for asking. YMMV...

BTW: Springs, or no springs? :D