Thread: Piddling around the lathe

Piddling around the lathe

Haven't posted much lately. We have been getting ready for a long vacation and I had to get the CV cyclone installed and most of the tools moved around, then get the garage shaped up (that means to a point where the cars will go in) and finish a few projects before we leave. All these are gifts but one is for LOML so it will stay around the house. The large platter is maple, about 2 1/2" high and 19 1/2 wide (try that on a PM 3520), the smaller is about the same height and 17 1/8" wide. Both are maple but the quilt in the smaller one doesn't show up too well in the picture. The bowl is pear, 10 3/4" X 3 1/8". Hope you like them.

Very nice, Cecil. I really like the maple.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Glad to see the project pics - looks great. I read the Piddling around the lathe title and thought: Oh no someone's gonna have an electrical shock accident.
    --------------------------------------------
    Link to my ongoing ClearVue DC Install on CV's site: http://www.gallery2.clearvuecyclones...s-Mini-CV1400/

Great job Cecil.Got to love that maple I have been working with it for the last few weeks and love it. Take care .Ken

Great job Cecil. I really like that maple.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Cecil

Nice stuff! But not being privy to the vortex world I don't understand your comment......try that on a PM 3520

Jay

PS glad to hear the someone else has to clean up their shop errrr..... garage, so the cars can be moved back in!

Thanks for the comments all.

Doug, I did see a guy urinate on a 49 Ford flathead once (does that date me or what?) while standing on the fender, it was a site to behold.

Ken, the first time I turned a green maple blank I thought I was being attacked by the long curls that came off it. I really do love to turn it, but unfortunately it's hard to get here.

Jay, turning a 19 1/2" platter on a lathe with 20" over the bed means you have to get the blank to about 19 3/4" then true it up. At 19 3/4 for the rough-out you have about 1/8" clearance.

Those are real nice, if that is just piddling around, I wonder what you can do if you put your mind (and talent) to the task!!

I've got to try some glue ups and make a few platters, I think my wife was "Hinting" about on the other day....
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward