Wi-fi router purchase advise needed

Tom Baugues

So, the wife and I just got new smartphones. Amazing little contraptions. Anyway...to keep us from using our data plan as much, I want to add a wireless router to my home computer to allow us to connect to it instead, while we are here in the house (wife on Facebook). Many friends have told me to just "go out and get a router". Well I like to know that any purchase I make is the correct one so I've been online all day researching. My head is now about to expload. :pullhair: There are so many out there. We do not play games on our phones and will not be streaming movies to the tv. I just want wi-fi in the house. However this has got me thinking that if I get the right router maybe I would also get a signal out in my shop? Shop is only about 30-40 feet from house.
Anyway, I've read that I need an "N" type router? Can someone recommend what to look for. I would like to keep it under $100.00 if possible.

The best one I've found is the Apple "Airport Extreme" - a dual band "N" router, but it's nearly twice what you want to pay. Mine has worked flawlessly from day one, and it's got a really strong signal. You can also add 'repeater' stations to it. I have one of those in the shop - about a hundred feet, and several walls, away from the base and I get 130mb signals on the shop computer.

I had a Belkin once(once!). It was the worst, most troublesome one I've ever had. Linksys are good, but both of mine only lasted about a year before dying. The Apple (and yes, it works on Windows, too) has been going strong for nearly three years now.

I've been very happy with the Linksys and Cisco routers. My current Cisco is an E2500, had bought a dlink first, but returned it as the signal wasn't as strong as the cisco. The newer cisco's allow you to setup a guest network as well, which lets you password protect it and it also keeps the guest off the network with your computers and devices, but allows them to get on the internet.

BTW...What type of internet connection (cable, dsl, other) do you intend to connect it to?

Last edited:
I've been very happy with the Linksys and Cisco routers. My current Cisco is an E2500, had bought a dlink first, but returned it as the signal wasn't as strong as the cisco. The newer cisco's allow you to setup a guest network as well, which lets you password protect it and it also keeps the guest off the network with your computers and devices, but allows them to get on the internet.

BTW...What type of internet connection (cable, dsl, other) do you intend to connect it to?

Darren, I have Comcast's cable internet.

Not really, the new cisco I have doesn't have them. The new cisco had a really good signal, stronger than the G-version linksys I had which did have external antennas. Now if you say want to run a cable off of one to a antenna outside, you may be able to get internet in your shop, but if it's already at the back of the house, it may pickup there anyway. Mine is located on the second floor of the house. I can pickup a signal from about half way across the yard on the opposite side of the house, about 80' away.

NP Tom. Like I mentioned earlier, I had bought a D-Link that after I got it home, just didn't do what I needed it to do, could hardly get a signal downstairs. So get it one from somewhere that has a no questions asked return policy and take it back if it's not doing the task.

I've gone through a ton of routers, for whatever reason. Dlink, generics, etc. I have a cisco E3000 like Darrens with internal antennas.

Only reason I upgraded from my good old wr56tg was to get the wireless N.Signal goes 150' across the house through 5 walls no problem.

Even put a 'super antenna' out at the green house 400' away and I get a good signal out there now.

I got this model primarily because it was able to be flashed with some 3rd party firmware (dd-wrt)that adds some incredible functionality to what is otherwise a pretty inexpensive router.

Not that you'd need or want that, but just tossing that out there.. :D

I think you should keep it simple -- If you do not talk the geek language some wifi routers can be a real bear to setup. Example "it was able to be flashed with some 3rd party firmware (dd-wrt)that adds some incredible functionality to what is otherwise a pretty inexpensive router." Not really plug and play like some products that others have suggested for you -- http://store.apple.com/us/search?find=router

I think you should keep it simple -- If you do not talk the geek language some wifi routers can be a real bear to setup. Example "it was able to be flashed with some 3rd party firmware (dd-wrt)that adds some incredible functionality to what is otherwise a pretty inexpensive router." Not really plug and play like some products that others have suggested for you

I only added that because that's what I did.

Most of the routers do come with pretty simple setup wizards, including the models that Darren and I mentioned. Most humans that have dealt with computers for any amount of time would find it relatively easy to go through the setup and install process. I doubt that the setup process for the Apple products is all that different. You open a browser to a default ip address, and enter a few bits of info and you are good to go.

Apple is good, but it's not the only way to go.

Brent said " I doubt that the setup process for the Apple products is all that different." give them a try and see -- I am finished with this thread - Just trying to be helpful but it has turned argumentative - deleted what I really wanted to say. Oh by the way my dog is bigger than your dog and faster LOL

Wasn't argumentative on my side of the issue Paul. Just trying to help folks out.

If you've got a problem with me, I'd like to know what it is. Personally, I find your last post in this thread and your current signature offensive.

Paul Gallian said:
Brent said " I doubt that the setup process for the Apple products is all that different." give them a try and see -- I am finished with this thread - Just trying to be helpful but it has turned argumentative - deleted what I really wanted to say. Oh by the way my dog is bigger than your dog and faster LOL

Paul Gallian's Signature said:
"Grammar is important. Commas can save lives:
Let's eat Brent
vs
Let's eat, Brent"

Paul you may want to consider keeping more of an open broader view when you view replies to threads. The answer Brent offered may not apply to Tom (which is for Tom to choose) but there are guys like me out there that appreciate his tech tips and get them from threads like this.

I totally admire Apple products for several reasons, but.....Apple followers get me down when they become so myopic they cannot see any other solution other than Apple. If i recall correctly Tom specified a budget he would like to remain within. Jim already cleared up that Apple and the word budget do not belong in the same sentence, so how is the Apple router a solution to Toms needs one of which was not technical at all but to remain within a budget?

I dont see how Brent was being argumentative:huh:

My linksys works fine. It's in my basement so I don't get much reach outside, although I can use it on my deck. If it were on the ground floor, I think it could reach out the 40 feet to my back shed. I can see both my neighbours' routers from here (electronically!)