Hardware storage bins

Brent Dowell

Administrator
Staff member
So I've got a bunch of this style of hardware storage bins

21OBtNNFiJL.jpg

They work ok, but take up a bunch of wall space. I installed some more drawers in the shop, and I'd like some bins that could be used in the drawers to store the hardware. That would free up some more wall space that I need for bookshelves.

What do you think about building a bunch of these out of 1/4" ply with 1/2" ply bottoms?

Pretty simple box joints on the corners, about 4" square, and 4 inches tall. Do you think 1/4" box joints glued would hold up?

Or do you know of a source for some relatively square bins that would work in a drawer? They would need to be easy enough to pull up and out of the drawer for usage.

Storage Box.jpg

I think 1/4" ply and box joints would be strong enough, but i'd probably pop in a few 23 gauge pins in strategic locations just for backup. (To hold it in place until the glue dries of course...as Norm would say.) ;)

I think that the storage bins that you show and describe would work well. I recommend Baltic Birch ply rather than just ordinary ply and I would screw the sides to the base.

I have many small plastic boxes (probably about 100) which I use to store lots and lots of things in drawers and in systainers. They come in four sizes but are all the same height, that is about 2.5 inches. Since they come from Festool, they are expensive. :eek: Since they come from Festool they are durable and work well together and with other Festool products. :) Here is a link: http://www.bobmarinosbesttools.com/plastic-container-inserts-for-sys-1-box/p/487660/

Here is a photo showing one of the many uses that I make of these boxes:

Lots of screws in two systainers -small.JPG

Thanks guys!

I've got a bunch of leftover 1/4 Cherry ply that I think I'll use to whip up some of these using my incra Box joint jig.

That way I can tweak the size to fit my drawers closely enough.

or you could get some of those glad storage containers and could see what you have and not have to make anything they come in a variety of sizes, also the ones that hook on the ledge of metal flat stock work in drawers loose brent