Building a Storehouse

Looking Good Mr Ablett!

Say... this is stirring a memory. Didn't you close in another parking spot about 5+ years ago on the street level of your apartment building? I forget, wasn't it for a daycare or some other small business?

Tom I think that is some kind of barricade at the supply store where Stu got the materials.

OK, now i know what Tom is talking about....

iK9qt.jpg
Yellow bunny on the left hand side.

Yeah, they try to make stuff cute here a lot, I mean why have just the plain old fencing stuff....

series09.jpg

When you can have this stuff....

kero1.jpg

rabito.jpg
barricade-016.jpg
H0000151570.jpg
251c0bfbd9bb192237f361f8e23860a6395310d9.25.2.2.2.jpg

Are you ill yet? :rolleyes: :doh::D

Looking Good Mr Ablett!

Say... this is stirring a memory. Didn't you close in another parking spot about 5+ years ago on the street level of your apartment building? I forget, wasn't it for a daycare or some other small business?

You are correct Art, the lesson room on the first floor, right beside the area I'm working on now, it was not parking, just a rental space to put a shop of some sort into.

It is up on my site >> HERE << but I'm not sure it is here on Familywoodworking, I think it predates this place....?

Yeah, that was it! Then I poke around and find the "in the beginning" page, and it's stunning to see your dungeon empty... If only you had known then what you know now and put down a floor, eh?
:threadjacked:

Anyway, have fun cutting tile today.:(

Yeah, not waiting to put down a floor was a big mistake, I pay for it all the time.

Back to the storehouse.

rL8yc.jpg

The threshold cut out marked ready to go.

90zY7.jpg

First cut, tiles and mortar removed, but it's not deep enough.

Vkzsd.jpg

Went deeper, this was a LOT of work!

DihAq.jpg

First door hung!

fQL8L.jpg

Both doors hung!

I still have to take the doors off and remove the door frame to put the mortar in the cut out, I just wanted to try the fit out before I mortared the frame in place.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Thanks Vaughn!

A few things;
I can't tell you how tired I was after digging out that channel in the floor for the threshold, I know I'll appreciate it always, but that kind of work is tough sledding. Sure glad I was under cover and it was not cold here :D
Them steel doors are heavy, holy cow are they heavy, and I lift and move heavy stuff for a living , but I tell you, they are heavy, too heavy for one guy, I'll get help when I rehang them for sure!

image-3637657387.jpg
I've got the building wrap up, so I'll install the door frame for good now, then re hang the doors, should be fun.....

I have two funerals to do today, so I'll have to knock off early, and one tomorrow, Sunday which will eat up time yet again. This puts me a day or so behind where I wanted to be, can't help it I guess. I was hoping to go and buy drywall today, but I can't. Maybe tomorrow, then I can get the insulation done. I'm considering putting up plywood on the interior, then drywall over that, this makes a stronger wall, and I can put stuff where ever I want to, I don't have to hunt for studs ( I also have four extra sheets of plywood, I guess my plus alpha estimate was a bit high)

Lots more to do!!

I got the cement board siding today, man that stuff is heavy, one piece is 24kg or 53 lbs.

I have 16 pieces on my poor little van, had to drive carefully for sure ;D

The insulation is done, now I'll do the outside, then when that is done I'll get some more plywood and then drywall, and be done!

Some pics...

rNcc1.jpg

Looking south, towards the parking for the micro van.

BkYwF.jpg

Looking North, towards the entrance of the building.

Cheers!

Hey, Stu...

As I look at the last two photos, I'm just wondering about how much storage you're actually getting there. I figure I must be misunderstanding something.
So let me see if I get this or not!

On the south end, that is the hatch to the Dungeon Annex. It is almost never opened, but it does open, right? So you can't really store stuff on top of it, can you? (Actually I think you used to park your bike/trailer there, right?)

On the North end is the metal hatch to the Dungeon itself, which you use to go in and out of your shop. On the left of that is the door into the storeroom, and on the right is doors that cover a mechanical/electrical access of some kind? So I see a lot of traffic areas that need to be accessible.

So just how much actual storage space are you gaining here? :huh: :dunno:

Coming along nicely. Those cutsey versions of items really can turn your stomach. Of course, folks who visit SoCal probably wonder why a lot of stuff has a Mexican theme. Different areas, different cultures. When you visit the southwestern U.S. you can just about choke on American Indian patterns; zig-zags, lizards, suns, feathers . . . . seems like cute round headed, round-eyed "things" are your burden to bear.

Hey, Stu...

As I look at the last two photos, I'm just wondering about how much storage you're actually getting there. I figure I must be misunderstanding something.
So let me see if I get this or not!

On the south end, that is the hatch to the Dungeon Annex. It is almost never opened, but it does open, right? So you can't really store stuff on top of it, can you? (Actually I think you used to park your bike/trailer there, right?)

On the North end is the metal hatch to the Dungeon itself, which you use to go in and out of your shop. On the left of that is the door into the storeroom, and on the right is doors that cover a mechanical/electrical access of some kind? So I see a lot of traffic areas that need to be accessible.

So just how much actual storage space are you gaining here? :huh: :dunno:

The trick is that the stuff that will be stored in here will be on pallets, that I can move around easily with a pallet jack, so I can store stuff on top of the hatch that leads down to the Dungeon Annex, no problem. You are correct that I will not store anything on the Dungeon hatch, but you also have to understand that this is Tokyo and I could easily rent out this space for storage and collect $500 or more. This space with the fittings, as in gas, sewer, water and electrical would go for an easy $800 a month. So you see, if I wanted to rent a space this big for storage, I'd have to pay $500 to $800 a month, plus two months damage deposit and most likely at least one month gift money to the landlord, that would be a two year lease.

I'll have enough space to store ten iCarvers in cartons, that should get me started.

Cheers!

Just following what the makers of the siding recommend, they say that the wall should have this building wrap on it before I install the siding, so I put building wrap on. :dunno:

The inside has been insulated with fibreglass bats, then I put up some plywood and on top of that I'll put some drywall. The plywood under the drywall makes the drywall a lot tougher, and if I want to put something on the wall, I'm not hunting for a stud. the addition of the plywood cost me about $50, so why not? I don't like the holes you see in the walls of storage areas because it's just drywall, the plywood backing the drywall will make it a fairly tough wall.

Just following what the makers of the siding recommend, they say that the wall should have this building wrap on it before I install the siding, so I put building wrap on. :dunno:

The inside has been insulated with fibreglass bats, then I put up some plywood and on top of that I'll put some drywall. The plywood under the drywall makes the drywall a lot tougher, and if I want to put something on the wall, I'm not hunting for a stud. the addition of the plywood cost me about $50, so why not? I don't like the holes you see in the walls of storage areas because it's just drywall, the plywood backing the drywall will make it a fairly tough wall.

I understand about what you are doing and why Stu I just don't understand the point of the wrap on an inside structure. Really there isn't much point for an under cover storage unit.

I understand about what you are doing and why Stu I just don't understand the point of the wrap on an inside structure. Really there isn't much point for an under cover storage unit.
Yeah, I agree, but they were quite adamant about using it, and it only cost another $30 or so, so why not?