More WOOD, like i needed anymore..

larry merlau

the log pile that was used to seat the visitors here this fall for toni's visit is now into a more managable size.. we had it sawed yesterday. got 1950 bf of lumber in 7hrs of time. we got 600bf soft maple,557bf red oak, some real nice qtr swn,533bf walnut and another 260bf walnut for tom.

well, your right john we both had sore backs because, one moving logs by hand to the saw is not easy, 2-32" oak, 2-32" s.maple all 10 to 12ftrs and every board gets handled tot he pile as well as cleaning up sawdust regularly so the sawyer didnt stumble. the smiles were there on some of it but the maple was depressing it had no curl:( but the pics are in toms camera so blame him for no pics yet.. maybe he can drop them in here:)

Sawin wood is like opening up a box of chocolates...ya never know what you'll get. I love sawing wood. Wish I could have helped. It's a good kinda tired:)

It would have been great if it was loaded with curl! I wish you could have seen that maple I cut. The curl was crazy! I talked to him when he came to pick up the lumber. The log that I cut wasn't a log. It was a limb! He said the trunk was at least 5 feet across! He asked me if I could cut it. I told him if he quartered it and delivered it to the mill! He said he's been looking for a chainsaw big enough to cut it.

Did you get any nice crotches in this load?

Always a blast making piles of dust:D down loaded the pics at work today but did not have time to post, but will tomorrow:thumb: this is the third time I have helped in cutting and love it:thumb: oh and sore......not me:rolleyes::p:D

Wow now you got a ton of work stickering that lot. Where is it all going to go. Cars living outside this winter i guess? Tom is that all the pics you have? What happens to the bark cut off bits before you got a square cant to cut the lumber from. Wish i could have been there to see that whole lot being cut up.

Nope, Larry did the major part of the heavy labor, those shots were at the beginning and end of the process:) and Brent the rule of thumb is 1" per year, checking with a meter to verify:)