Laser Setup for Captured System

Homemade on the cheap version...I read somewhere someone had gotten some kind of laser at Radio Shack...Hmmmmm Cant say you are a shill. I dont know what one is...Googling I go !!!

I think Dan has a source for the laser emitters themselves. (The little "capsule" part that actually produces the red light.) He should be able to point you in the right direction. :thumb:

Well I'll chime in - I buy and have bought all my Metal parts from Monster because I have the hollowing rig and the parts are great along with the service. However, I have a larger home made hollowing rig that I put a transformer on instead of using a battery box. Then I converted my Monster rig to the same type of set up and dumped the battery box all together. The transformer I originally bought was from Radio Shack and I began having troubles burning out the lasers faster than normal (see the long post on AAW discussing the same issue in complete technical detail ) - Finally, I found that the transformer was probably causing spikes and exceeding the lasers limits.

I have not tested the new transformer yet (designed for laser modules) mentioned below but ill let you know - In the meantime one sure way is to stick with the battery boxes as the AA's they will not have the spikes or dirty power issues that transformers may have. Below is what I have recently purchased to use on both my rigs.........................Dan

Power Supply - http://www.apinex.com/ret2/AC110-220-DC3.html

Lasers - http://www.aixiz.com/store/product_info.php/products_id/296

Battery Holder - http://www.batteryspace.com/batteryholder2xaacoveredbatteryholderwithon-offswitch-rohscompliant.aspx

Update on the Transformer

Today I hooked up the transformer and it works fine - not sure about whether ill have the same problem as with the old one I had from Radio Shack and burning out diodes sooner than usual but for now its working great - I hooked it up and shut off the battery pack and used it to hollow a small vessel and it worked without any problems - for now im happy with it.........................Dan

Attachments

• DSCN0303.jpg
    DSCN0303.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 24
  • DSCN0307.jpg
    DSCN0307.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 23
  • DSCN0309.jpg
    DSCN0309.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 25
  • DSCN0313.jpg
    DSCN0313.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 19
Larry - I have but I had replaced the original battery box after awhile because I kept going thru batteries and the box itself needed me to put a card in it for more holding pressuer to make the contacts work - it was not Monster's fault, it was from use - so I put a Radio Shack transformer in line and it worked great but then I started going thru lasers faster than normal - So I bought the new transformer mentioned to see if the current is better controlled (time will tell) - as for the not getting the lasers from Monster I simply found a cheaper source - I have another hollowing Rig - for Large hollowing - having the transformer with the clips enables me to quickly switch power source if I want also - Plus I guess I just like playing with things to see if I can make them better by redesigning.

I have bought alot of tools from Monster and im sure ill continue - but I make my own cutters, arms, etc.. now because I can and I feel they are better than whats out there alot of times ....... but for quality you can count on them everytime for sure

Last edited:
Mike - Im not sure about one source for all three - I just purchased the ones mentioned from the sources listed and did not have any problems with shipping or quality. As of today, the setup has been working perfectly but it make take more time to tell - I bought several battery boxes just in case things did not go the way I planned and 6 lasers - this way I have plenty of backup parts (besides there cheap enough) - I like the transformer with the clips so I hope it stays working well - ill let you know in more time but for now I would give it a thumbs up.........................Dan