Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A new project. A crib/bench

A new project. A crib/bench

I just got back from meeting with a client. I've got to convert an old crib into a bench. I'm going to use the sides and ends of the crib to fabricate a bench. He owns a small furniture store in downtown Rochester and this is for a customer of his. I gave him a price and he said "let's load it up". So we put it in the back of the truck. I've got a little bit of work to finish up on another job tomorrow morning, but when I'm done I'll get going on this project. I've never done anything like this before, but I've got a pretty good idea as to what I'm going to do. I think he's had this for a bit and can't get to it so he called me to see if I would tackle it. The funny part of it is that a couple days ago, he got a call from another customer asking for the very same type of thing. So if this one goes well, I may have another one to do shortly. I'll posts pics of the project in process and complete.

Wish me luck!
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"

Oh, good luck!
    Cheers,
    Roger

The other member of Mensa, but not the NRA

Everyone is a self-made person.

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their veracity" -Abraham Lincoln

Best of luck John.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2
    cheers

I have no doubt you'll do a great job.

Quote Originally Posted by John Pollman View Post
    ... The funny part of it is that a couple days ago, he got a call from another customer asking for the very same type of thing. So if this one goes well, I may have another one to do shortly...
    Unless the person who called you is the furniture store guy's customer trying to do an end run since it's taken so long.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

I've got the back section fabricated and plugged all of the holes where the hardware used to be. I'll trim off the plugs in a little while and sand them down. The seat blank is glued up and will be ready by the time I need it. I'm gluing up the pieces for the front legs right now. They'll be ready in the morning. Then I can engineer and fabricate the side/arm rest sections and get them built.

This has been pretty enjoyable. It's taking my mind off of my issues and allowing me to forget for a while. Being CONSTRUCTIVE is a good thing. Anxiety is a BAD thing. Keeping busy helps keep the anxiety at bay a bit.

John
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"

I'm exhausted!

It's after midnight and I finally decided to call it a day. But I kicked butt today! I can probably finish fabrication tomorrow. It's coming out pretty nice and I've been taking pics of the progress. I'll post a few when it's finished.

What a cool idea. I wonder if it is "someone's" crib from the family? What a wonderful way to keep a sentimental piece in use.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

I think that's the case. It's a pretty nice solid maple (painted white) crib that's about 10 years old. I took the end panels and made a couple minor modifications and then sanded the paint off of the mating surfaced and then glued and screwed them together side by side. Then used the drop panel and cut it to the size I needed for each arm rest/seat support on each end of the bench. I glued up a seat and It will get attached between the arm rests. The woman has some baskets that she wants to slide underneath the seat. So I made it with clear space all the way across. I'll post the pics when it's finished.

Been working my butt off the past couple days but it's ready for sand, prime, and paint!

I started with four pieces of an old crib. I fabricated the rest.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crib1.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	75.3 KB 
ID:	72265Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crib2.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	49.4 KB 
ID:	72266Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crib3.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	54.0 KB 
ID:	72267Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crib4.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	68.1 KB 
ID:	72268

came out sweet, nice work.
    Human Test Dummy