A new project. A crib/bench

John Pollman

I just got back from meeting with a client. I've got to convert an old crib into a bench. I'm going to use the sides and ends of the crib to fabricate a bench. He owns a small furniture store in downtown Rochester and this is for a customer of his. I gave him a price and he said "let's load it up". So we put it in the back of the truck. I've got a little bit of work to finish up on another job tomorrow morning, but when I'm done I'll get going on this project. I've never done anything like this before, but I've got a pretty good idea as to what I'm going to do. I think he's had this for a bit and can't get to it so he called me to see if I would tackle it. The funny part of it is that a couple days ago, he got a call from another customer asking for the very same type of thing. So if this one goes well, I may have another one to do shortly. I'll posts pics of the project in process and complete.

Wish me luck! ;)

I have no doubt you'll do a great job. :thumb:

... The funny part of it is that a couple days ago, he got a call from another customer asking for the very same type of thing. So if this one goes well, I may have another one to do shortly...

Unless the person who called you is the furniture store guy's customer trying to do an end run since it's taken so long. :D

I've got the back section fabricated and plugged all of the holes where the hardware used to be. I'll trim off the plugs in a little while and sand them down. The seat blank is glued up and will be ready by the time I need it. I'm gluing up the pieces for the front legs right now. They'll be ready in the morning. Then I can engineer and fabricate the side/arm rest sections and get them built.

This has been pretty enjoyable. It's taking my mind off of my issues and allowing me to forget for a while. Being CONSTRUCTIVE is a good thing. Anxiety is a BAD thing. Keeping busy helps keep the anxiety at bay a bit.

John

I'm exhausted!

It's after midnight and I finally decided to call it a day. But I kicked butt today! I can probably finish fabrication tomorrow. It's coming out pretty nice and I've been taking pics of the progress. I'll post a few when it's finished.

What a cool idea. I wonder if it is "someone's" crib from the family? What a wonderful way to keep a sentimental piece in use.

I think that's the case. It's a pretty nice solid maple (painted white) crib that's about 10 years old. I took the end panels and made a couple minor modifications and then sanded the paint off of the mating surfaced and then glued and screwed them together side by side. Then used the drop panel and cut it to the size I needed for each arm rest/seat support on each end of the bench. I glued up a seat and It will get attached between the arm rests. The woman has some baskets that she wants to slide underneath the seat. So I made it with clear space all the way across. I'll post the pics when it's finished.

Just finished her up!

I think it came out pretty darn nice. Thanks for the compliments folks. I think I've found something that I enjoy doing and may be able to make a few bucks at the same time. I'm going to keep an eye out for nice old cribs and try some more. I'm not going to get rich, but I bet something like this could bring in a few bucks. Right now ANY extra money is a big plus. Another good side effect of this is that I think I've discovered a new form of THERAPY. I did use a power sander for some of the work, but the final sanding was all by hand. The health issue that I've been diagnosed with is effecting my quads and triceps. The hand sanding really helps with some exercise for the triceps and the up and down all the time while working on it also works my quads. This is the physical therapy benefit, but there's also a MENTAL therapy too. While working on this, I'm able to get my mind off of my problems and it really cuts down on the anxiety.

Here's what she looks like...

crib5.jpgcrib6.jpg

looks great john,, and maybe you can get one in a store frnt somewhere with the story of reusing the crib of the little one into something useful later on i life..

Just finished her up!

I think it came out pretty darn nice.

I think so too.:thumb::D:)

I think you have stumbled on something that is a sure winner. Nice work on the blending of it all together.

John swing by the charity stores and see what you find. You may be able to pick up some that you can do and resell.

Also stick up an advert on Craigslist to offer the conversion process to would be interested customers. Just sprinkle the advert in a few places with different titles and spiel.

You might wanna stop by some "antique stores" the kind that dont really sell antiques but sell distressed furniture and see if they have something of the kind they would be interested in.

I think with all the restoration work that is being done and helped along by shows like American Restoration, this is a pretty good angle considering how you made it turn out. Kudos to you. Well done man. :thumb: