Getting some skew practice in.

Drew Watson

Well it has been a busy year for me with work and now that winter is upon us I finally got some time off before Christmas to get to that chess set I had been talking about. I already did the re saw of the black walnut and maple and glued it up to a 1/2 piece of ply ( for stability) I am still designing the type of box that I am making for that. In the mean time with Christmas quickly approaching I spent the past couple of days working on the chess men designs and today I settled on one design. Kind of worked itself out really as I attempted to make a tool like Stu had made for his pawns but in the end I had no luck so I sharpened up the old Skew and had a go with that. Worked out pretty good also used the detail gouge. Not exactly all the same but pretty close. Ok the pics were not inverted on my computer so if someone knows how to flip them I would appreciate it. I attempted to flip them on my computer and then load them with the same results. So Pictures are coming as soon as I can figure this out. Sorry.

Attachments

• DW5.jpg
    DW5.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 23
  • DW4.jpg
    DW4.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 19
  • DW3.jpg
    DW3.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 22
  • DW2.jpg
    DW2.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 22
  • DW1.jpg
    DW1.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 26
Last edited by a moderator:
Good to see you getting some shop time. :thumb:

On rotating the pictures, if you're using Windows you should be able to right-click on the file in Windows Explorer and select "Rotate Clockwise" or "Rotate Counterclockwise". If that doesn't get the job done, you can mail them to me and I'll rotate them for you. (The email address is in my Profile.)

Good to see you getting some shop time. :thumb:

On rotating the pictures, if you're using Windows you should be able to right-click on the file in Windows Explorer and select "Rotate Clockwise" or "Rotate Counterclockwise". If that doesn't get the job done, you can mail them to me and I'll rotate them for you. (The email address is in my Profile.)

Yea Vaughn I am able to rotate the pictures at this end. It is when I load them to the forum that they flip upside down. It doesn't matter if they are right side up or upside down at this end they still seem to load inverted, weird to say the least. I was thinking maybe it had something to do with windows 8 that I am now using. I just put them back up and tried to flip them again at this end Vaughn but no luck, maybe you can do something with this at your end ( and give me an idea of how to fix this at my end). Thanks

It been awhile since I have had the time to get into the shop or post anything here. Thought that I would be a bit rusty getting back on the lathe but like riding a bike it took a few minutes to get comfortable again. I will say that standing at the lathe for 4 hrs I really felt in in my knees. I am waiting for a new knee brace for the other knee this time that should fix that issue. getting old sucks big time just wish that I could get the idea across to that 20 yr old that is hiding in my body. :rofl:

Oh yea the pawns in Black walnut ( in the pictures) are the first design that I had but was having issues with the time it took to copy that design. The skew and I were having issues over that design and like the willow I just bent a little to the skew and now we get along just fine. :D

Last edited:
Well now everyone around my desk is wondering why I was doing a headstand on my desk! :eek:

Those look great Drew! My daughter is getting into chess recenlty...not enough time before christmas to make a set but maybe by her birthday in July! :thumb:

Yadda yadda windows 8 yadda yadda...

I think I found your problem there, bud. :p I got them flipped over, at least that's how they display on my machine.

The chess pieces look great. I admire you guys who use and embrace the skew. i know it's due to my own lack of practice, but me and skews have never gotten along great. We're cordial, but not best friends. ;)