Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: help, help, help

help, help, help

oh man, i thought these things run forever.
    I was at my bandsaw just now, cutting out more of stus reindeers, and I started noticing a funky smell.
    something like rubber burning so I immediately shut everything off.
    I checked all around, didnt see anything burning, felt everything.
    Went into the house, checked the circuit breaker board, felt it, nothing was hot.
    Went back out turned on the bandsaw, dust collector, all of the sudden the saw dust from the bandsaw was hitting me in face, what happenned to my dust collector, and at that exact moment, I noticed the dust collector was shut down, and smoke was coming out between the switch box and motor.
    I have a delta 50-760, 4 years old, Id say heavy use.

now Im stuck. Im the least mechanically inclined person on earth, and Im not 100% sure if I want to replace the motor or just get a cyclone at this point.

The switch box was smoking hot, and my garage is filled with smoke, smells like a fire, but its more rubber burning/electrical smell.

what should I do? replace motor or just go with new unit?

where is best price for motor?
    Human Test Dummy

I just called my wife to contact the electrician who did my 220 wiring here, and alot of wiring at my old store.
    Im going to ask him to take a look at the motor and switch, and see if its an inexpensive repair.
    I just looked at ereplacement parts, the motor is 600.00 bucks?
    Id rather order a new cyclone if thats the case.
    Human Test Dummy

Allen look in your area for an electric motor repair shop, they will be able to sell you a replacement motor for your D/C a lot cheaper than the $600.00 bucks you talked about. worth a shot unless you want a cyclone, and it sounds like you want a new toy

You've probably already unplugged the DC you could also open the switch box. I am wondering if there is some dust inside??? It may be that your switch will need to be replaced.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

Yeah, that $600 price tag sounds WAY too high. Heck, you can buy the whole DC new for less than that. Your electrician buddy should be able to steer you in the right direction. Once you know the REAL cost to repair it, you can make an informed decision on whether to get the cyclone.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bart Leetch View Post
    You've probably already unplugged the DC you could also open the switch box. I am wondering if there is some dust inside??? It may be that your switch will need to be replaced.
    there was alot of dust inside, and all the dust was burning. Not good.
    seems like there was a small fire in there, everything seems toasted.

The electrician said he doesnt know much about dust collectors, but he will make it over here monday or tuesday and check out to see if the motor is ok, which I think it might be, the smoke was coming from the switch box attached to it.
    Im hoping he can rewire a new switch for me.

I always like new toys charles, but if its an inexpensive repair, lets say under 100 or 150, Id be fine keeping this dust collector.(Im going to have to pay the electrician, but he wont charge me more than 35 or 40 bucks if its just some rewiring, but Ill have to get the parts)
    Human Test Dummy

Was the dc still running?

I had the same thing happened on my Delta years ago... The run capacitor fried and caught on fire.

Scary as hell. Motor was fine, just got new caps for it and it's been fine ever aince

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

yeah, brent, thats what Im thinking. I was looking inside the switch box, and it looks like that happenned.
    but after I started noticing dust all over the place, the DC had already shut down and there was smoke all over.
    where did you order the capacitors from?
    this little piece burned or melted off from somewhere.

Im hoping he can fix it for me in a timely fashion.

I finished up the 16 reindeer my daughter needs for her class, had to use my trend, pine is murder with the bandsaw.
    If I need to make more, Im going to rig up something from my shop vac and let it run as a DC with the saw.
    Just too much dust for me in that small garage.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails kitchen reface 222 (Medium).jpg   kitchen reface 221 (Medium).jpg  
    Last edited by allen levine; 12-07-2012 at 07:40 PM.
    Human Test Dummy

That looks like OOZE from the right of the top cap?

Would certainly validate Brents theory.

BTW: if you don't know what you are doing in there I would STOP now. It appears that there may be two capacitors (although its hard to tell with the carbon stains). Capacitors can hold a vicious amount of power in them and I would really hate to read about how one discharged on you (or WORSE onto you ). Old TV's have a similar problem and I don't dig around in them either (anymore... )

Yup, definitely looks like mine when it blew.

There are 2 caps, and iirc, a run and a start. I'm out of pocket right now, but I think this was a fairly common knowledge issue with the Delta dcs.

I think if you goggles Delta dust collector capacitor you will find some helpful info

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash