Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: gonna mill a few logs

gonna mill a few logs

I can blame Larry and Tom for this. After their milling adventure and 65 degrees for the high, got the milling itch going. I've got a couple of small cherry logs to get out of the way first. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0652.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	107.1 KB 
ID:	72232

I've got a spalt pile going with some sugar and soft maple in it. It's some gnarly stuff that wouldn't be very good for just boards so I shoved it over in the woods about a year ago. I decided it was about time to check it so I cut the end off of a sugar log and this is what I found! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0650.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	102.4 KB 
ID:	72233Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0651.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	119.0 KB 
ID:	72234 I think I've caught this one at the perfect time. It was still solid all the way through. I'm going to drag it out and open her up hopefully later today or tomorrow.

John, those spalted logs are going to be great! Will make some really nice pen blanks.......lots...and lots...of pen blanks.
    It's not what you achieve in life...It's what you overcome!

i may need to ride to tennesee again this spring after seeing that end grain shot.. would soft maple spalt if its already cut into boards john, i know its the cart before the horse thing but just curious on your thoughts on that..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    i may need to ride to tennesee again this spring after seeing that end grain shot.. would soft maple spalt if its already cut into boards john, i know its the cart before the horse thing but just curious on your thoughts on that..
    It probably would if you had it in the right environment. I had some small pieces of maple, chunks from offcuts/slabs that had some curl. I took them and put them in one of those heavy plastic black garbage bags. I had a small piece of spalted wood that I ran through the planer and caught the shavings. I dumped that and enough water to keep it damp in the bag. I tied up the garbage bag and left it alone in the garage for 3 months. Here's some pictures of what I pulled out. There's a guy down the road that sales steel drums that had apple juice inside. I'm thinking about getting one and using it to try and spalt smaller pieces.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spalted maple (1).jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	78.7 KB 
ID:	72250Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spalted maple (2).JPG 
Views:	62 
Size:	81.5 KB 
ID:	72251Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spalted maple (3).JPG 
Views:	60 
Size:	93.5 KB 
ID:	72252Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spalted maple (4).JPG 
Size:	89.7 KB 
ID:	72253

I got the cherry cut. I got mostly 6" wide stuff. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0653.jpg 
Size:	78.3 KB 
ID:	72254 I also cut an oak crotch that I've been rolling all over the yard. It seemed to always be in the way. Here's a few pics of that.

Name:	IMAG0655.jpg 
Size:	90.2 KB 
ID:	72255Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0656.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	82.4 KB 
ID:	72256Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0657.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	59.9 KB 
ID:	72257Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0658.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	55.8 KB 
ID:	72258Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0659.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	62.3 KB 
ID:	72259

Tom, that would be funny! That log is about 28" diameter and 8 feet long. With a decent looking crotch on the end. My FIL helps me cut. When I see him and show him the log I think I'll tell him that I'm gonna cut it into pen blanks just to see his face.

I'm gonna have to hold off on the maple. I thought I had 2 new bands, but I'm out. I'll have to send some off to be resharpened.

that bagged wood is SPECIAL!!!! now i need to find a silage tube to put 500 bf in and some of your specail shavings and hook it up to the hose

Here's a link to several articles about spalting. http://www.finewoodworking.com/profile/Dr_Spalting

Larry,

That maple I cut a couple of weeks ago on one side of the short log had some fairly bad ring shake. The guy didn't want that chunk so I cut it into some smaller shorts, about 1x7x4ish and a couple of full slabs that I knew would come apart. I had it flat stacked and it got a nice healthy start of fungus started. I've put the shorts in a bag to see how well it spalts. I didn't put any shavings in this time.

Name:	bagged pre (2).jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	51.8 KB 
ID:	72270Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bagged pre (1).jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	48.4 KB 
ID:	72271Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bagged.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	57.1 KB 
ID:	72272

it will be intersting to see how it turns out john,, could you tell it had ring shake before you cut it? i have seen it after the cut but not before

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    it will be intersting to see how it turns out john,, could you tell it had ring shake before you cut it? i have seen it after the cut but not before
    He indicated that a guy had a "log" with ring shake, so I assumed he just took a look at the log's butt cut or cross cut. I don't think he was talking about an uncut tree.

“When love and skill work together, expect a masterpiece.” - John Ruskin
    “Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” - Oscar Wilde

I could tell from the butt cut. Once I started cutting it I could tell it was worse than I thought.