Grizzly G0555LX Damage in Shipment???

Al Launier

This morning I picked up a G0555LX (Christmas present) at the local UPS facility. Long story short, there's damage to the crate, numerous gouges, but one area significant whereby "someone" actually patched it up with clear "shipping" tape. UPS put it in my SUV with a fork truck bottom side down, so guess where the damage was located? Right! Not knowing any better I signed the UPS receipt sheet.

Noticed the damage to the crate when returning home, took pictures, contacted Grizzly CS (they were excellent about it & very supportive), and sent them the pictures. Crate is unopened. Won't be able to determine if there is any damage to the saw until I open it up at Christmas (wife's adamant about this!).

Neighbor who was supposed to help unload was a no-show, couldn't reach him - did it myself - took a while. Had to ramp up to the SUV floor, horse it on the ramp, slide it to a dolly, & walk it into the shop. moving 205lbs around gets to be more difficult at 70.

Grizzly will be contacting me after Christmas to inquire of status. So far, I'm impressed with Grizzly!

This kind of thing can take the edge off. Oh well, can't wait for Christmas & hoping for the best.

al i dont have any grizzley tools but there service is top notch from what i have heard during my time here on the forum.. i wouldnt worry and it could be a ok..:)

I'll echo Larry...since Grizzly ships nearly all the machines they sell, they have plenty of experience in dealing with shipping issues. Chances are, the saw is fine inside that beat-up box, but if not, Grizzly will take care of it for you. :thumb: I've had a few machines (from Griz and others) show up in damaged boxes, but so far, none of the machines have had any damage.

Thanks Lary, I definitely have the opinion that if there is any damage, probably not(?) as Styrofoam packaging is usually pretty good, Grizzly will be there and this is based on the CS phone call I had with them today & the comments many of you have already made about them. That is one of the reasons I bought the G0555LX.

I also hope everything is in good shape. Be ready for a lot of quality fun. I got my G0555 back in 2008 and really love it. Just one great piece of equipment. I would go nuts waiting 'til Christmas though.

yeah can you imagine this ole fellar looking for ways to sneak a peek like a little kid would for the next 14 days, and i would say the misses is just setting back grinning every day:) got to admit he got a good one if she buys him tools:thumb:

You guys have a great sense of humor! Love it!

By the way, which "ole fellar" are you talking about?????????????????????????????? LOL

I have young blood in an old container!

Last edited:
Grizzly is good with customer service. I believe if I had seen damage at the UPS depot I would have declined to accept. As said, their stuff is well packed, the unit might be just fine. Hope so.

I don't know all the shipping rules, but there may be a time window in which you have to file a claim for hidden damage (inside the box). Be sure the experts at Grizzly are aware that you are waiting until Christmas, and will still back you if there turns out to be damage which wasn't claimed in time for UPS.

If there is a time limit, maybe your neighbor can open the box and check, while your wife keeps you locked up elsewhere.

Yeah i am with Charlie on this. I would be putting this issue before Mrs Claus and letting her take the wrap if its gotta be that the box cannot be opened at least for inspection. ;) Throw in a little bit about the Grinch taking away Christmas if the thing is damaged and needs to be sorted out in time and you fall outside of it due to box opening. I amsure that will prize the can open. :)

Charlie & Rob thanks for the thoughts.
I believe I have it under control whereby I contacted Grizzly with emails to their Customer Service & Ordering/Shipping Depts. Included in the email was a very thorough description of why I didn't notice the damage at the UPS facility & not until I unloaded the crate onto a dolly at home. The damage was out of sight, on the bottom & I wouldn't have been able to see it until then unless I had the fork truck lift it up & I looked at it from below. I never though to do that. The email included 17 pictures that clearly show the damage & how it could not have been done by me.

The CS rep has filed a claim & will be contacting UPS directly. The Grizzly CS rep will be calling me after Christmas, or me them, and we take it from there.

Thinking back on the loading at UPS, I recall the fork lift driver approaching my vehicle with the load low to the ground, which is good safe practice. But then he kept the pallet low when at my car & got off to help me lift it into the vehicle. I said whoa! Why don't we just raise the load even with the floor & slide it in rather than lift it in & get a hernia. To which he said he thought that dragging the load off the pallet would pull the pallet off the fork truck. I had to point out that the pallet was only 6" from my car & it would take 3' to pull it off. Go figure! Almost seems like he didn't want me to look under the pallet???

Anyway, I think I'm all set with Grizzly/UPS. I was just upset that I received the package like this & have to go through the process. Thanks for your comments & concern.

There are some real gorillas out there in the shipping biz. I have been mostly lucky but, Grizzly had to eat a buffer that UPS dropped shaft-side down. Must've been from a reasonable height as the packing was pretty good. The shaft punched through the packing, three layers of cardboard and the end of the box, yowzer! Hope all is well and you will love that saw. . . . . did Mrs Claus order you some blades yet?

There are some real gorillas out there in the shipping biz. I have been mostly lucky but, Grizzly had to eat a buffer that UPS dropped shaft-side down. Must've been from a reasonable height as the packing was pretty good. The shaft punched through the packing, three layers of cardboard and the end of the box, yowzer! Hope all is well and you will love that saw. . . . . did Mrs Claus order you some blades yet?

Yes she did, although i think she will realize that at Christmas. LOL

Seriously, I bought two blades today & ordered another two from a local firm recommended to me by Vaughn McMillan (Yankeee Industrial). They sell Starrett blades & I am comfortable with the quality of these blades. I'm glad they are within driving distance as I like to support local businesses.

There are some real gorillas out there in the shipping biz.
That may be true. I am fortunate to be close enough to a Grizzly store that I have picked up my own items. Plus, it is fun to go through the store and look at all the goodies.
Each time the Griz guys have loaded a large item onto my truck you would think they were handling a new born baby. Very careful and professional about how they do it. And, always friendly. It can be done right.