Yet another woodworking challenge...

John Pollman

Looks like I've got another woodworking challenge ahead of me...

Just got back from visiting my friend's skate shop in downtown Rochester. They have a 100+ year old armoire that is in about 15 or so pieces. She wants to use it as a display piece in the shop. I spent about a half hour down there solving the puzzle. I'm pretty sure I know where everything goes, but there's quite a bit of repair work to make it a functional display piece. It's going to take some doing, but I'm sure I'll be able to get the job done. I'm waiting for the cable guy to get here now. Once he's gone, I'm going to pick up the pieces and get started.

Will do. I'm going do take pics of each step along the way. I guess this armoire belonged to her grandmother and she said it's from probably the late 1800's. It's a pretty nice piece but it's been repaired numerous times. Her sister has had it for years but was moving and had no place for it so she sent her husband over there to pick it up. When he got there, he said that it was barely staying together. As soon as he tried to move it, he knew that it wasn't going to be done in one piece.

As I said, I've identified all of the pieces and nearly all of them need some sort of repair. Once I get the components repaired and made structurally sound, I'll start reassembling it. I'm going to beef it up a bit on the inside so that it doesn't change the overall appearance of the piece from the outside. I'll probably add some shelves and that will help strengthen and stabilize it also. I'm looking forward to the challenge!