Antique armoire rebuild project.

John Pollman

Hi folks,
Over in the Off Topic forum I started a thread about a project I was getting ready to start. I've got a customer who has a 100+ year old armoire that has had numerous repairs and in pieces. She wants to use it for a display piece in their store. I went over yesterday and looked at it. It was in about 15 pieces but I was able to figure out what went where. I picked it up today and got started.

Here's what I started with at about 3:30 this afternoon.
Armoire1.jpg

As I got into it, this is the kind of damage I was dealing with. This is the under side of the base.
Armoire2.jpg

And this is where I was at by about 7:00 this evening. (not too bad for 3-1/2 hours work)
Armoire3.jpg

The right side door needs minor repair. The left side door is wasted. I'm pretty much going to have to rebuild it, the pieces are all there but it needs serious help. (you can see it on the right side of the first pic) Once I've got the doors repaired it will be time for assembly. Then build some shelves and install them and it's ready to go. I'm planning on making it so that it can be disassembled and moved in pieces instead of one big unit. I can make it so that it will break down into 7 pieces and it will be much easier to deal with.

Minor repair to the right door is done. The left door was another story all together.

Here's what I started with this morning about 8:30
left door1.jpg

After cleaning up the pieces, I got to work reassembling and repairing it. I was done by about 11:30. Made pretty good time actually.
left door2.jpg

I'm going to jump in the shower, then head out and pick up some material for shelves. Then I'll get home and start assembly. This has gone MUCH quicker than I thought it would and it's going to be beautiful.

I've been busy!

It's been about 26 hours since I had a pile of about 15 pieces that were either just disassembled or damaged (most had at least some damage, one door was wasted) and now this is what it looks like.

armoire4.jpgarmoire5.jpg

I think a good title for your post would be "American Restoration" .

You sure move on a project. Well done cant wait to see how u finish it.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Just came up from the shop, it's almost done. Paint is finished. I'm gonna have to head to Woodcraft and get another hinge. One of the three on the left door is missing half of it. It's one of the style that has a fixed pin that you can just lift the door off. Like I said, this piece is over a hundred years old and I don't want to just throw any old hinge on it. I've also got to pick up a couple catches to keep the doors closed. I removed the lock mechanisms because it doesn't need to be locked, but it will be nice to make sure that the doors can close and stay there.

As far as the finish goes, I wiped it all down and hit it with a good coat of Guardsman Wood Oil and boy did that make a difference. It's GORGEOUS! I just texted a photo to the client and she is ecstatic! I'll probably head out tomorrow and get the hinge and catches and it's finished.

armoire6.jpg

P.S.
Sorry about the lousy pic quality. (looks like it's snowing) I moved a couple things around and I'm shocked at how well dust shows up when you use a flash. :)

Last edited:
I put the door latches on and delivered it today. The client was thrilled. Apparently it had belonged to her great grandmother and has been passed down through the generations. She remembers it as a kid because her mother had it in her home. She unfortunately passed away very young and the armoire went to her sister. I guess it wasn't cared for very well, that's why it was in the condition it was in. She is very happy to have it back in working order and looking beautiful again. Here's a couple more shots that I took this morning after the dust had settled and I didn't need to use a flash. They're much better quality pics than what I put up before.

armoire8.jpgarmoire7.jpg

I was in the shop last night and it looks fantastic!
I delivered and set it up last Friday. But a few days ago, one of them had a great idea. Because of the type of hinges on the unit, they popped the doors off and flipped them for left and right and reinstalled them. The unit stays open all the time anyway and now you can see the beautiful oak instead of the painted brown surface. I'll take a pic or two next time I get over there and post it.

Last edited: