Thread: I hate box cutters

I hate box cutters

I have not been able to get up to our place at Mt. Fuji recently. So, today decided to come up for a short visit. I brought a used large "blue heata". Which I found in a recycle shop. Set it up in my very cold workshop and it started to work immediately. Very hot and not much smell either.

Since my shop is a work in progress it is dark. I bought some small LED lights that I wanted to set up. Looked for my box cutter. Found it. Needed to refill the blades. Got out the box of refills out. Opened it and, here I am not too sure how it happened, I sliced my right index finger rather deeply. Bleed like the perverbal stuck pig. Went to my medical kit and squirted some antibacterial spray into it and tried to bandage it. Too much blood. Finally got some bandage on it. Decided to go to a doctor. Found a small plastic bag to put my hand into and drove to the city office to find directions to a doctor.

They sent me to a pediatrician. Not good. Made the Mothers of the wee ones a little sick. The nurses gave me a better bandage and sent me on my way with direction to an orthopedic surgeon who they had called. Drove around his neighborhood for 30 minutes until I finally found his small very nice hospital. Twenty five minutes later I was on my way with four sutures and a weeks worth of antibiotics.
    The cost? About 38 US dollars or more precisely yen2,930.

No pictures so maybe it did not happen. I was careless and was lucky it was not worse.

Well that is certainly NOT the way to spend your afternoon!

What kind of a reception did you get, big gaijin, bleeding all over the place.... must have wanted to call the cops (I'm kidding!)

Well, the heater works right? At least you now have heat. What kind of heater is it? Anything that burns something, IE if it is NOT electric (which I doubt due to your lack of power up there) you really need to make sure you crack a window to let in some air that has some O˛ in it DAMHIKT!!

Heal quickly, and take ALL them antibiotics, never know what what on that blade, sitting up in that shop of yours......
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

They were all very nice. More worried about my finger than anything else. It is a " blu heat". Retails for 84,000 yen. Good for 96 sq m. The one I got is five years old and cost me 17,800. It uses kersene. So, no sanding when it is running.

Spitting distance north of Detroit Michigan
    That's some meticulous work cutting finger joints with a box cutter ....heal quick!
    The perception of perfection is perfectly clear to everyone else

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cook View Post
    That's some meticulous work cutting finger joints with a box cutter ....heal quick!
    OUCH! The joke, not the finger. The joke was much worse.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Super Glue !
    I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.
    ::: Andrew Wyeth :::
    colonialrestorationstudio.com

WOW, only 38 bucks! You got a deal. My copay would have been more than that.

Doesn't sound like a good way to spend the afternoon. I too keep a new tube of super glue in the shop and one in the first aid kit. You do have to get the bleeding to reduce some, so doesn't work so well on all cuts.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

I'm the opposite of a hemophilia person. So when It looks like I need stitches I strap the wound close wait a day and the healing has begone.
    I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.
    ::: Andrew Wyeth :::
    colonialrestorationstudio.com

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    OUCH! The joke, not the finger. The joke was much worse.
    I'm with Glenn!!!

If I can stop groaning I will sign off.

Enjoy,

JimB
    First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.
    VOTING MEMBER