Clearing Up a Backlog

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
I've been playing catch-up on some photos from the past year or so and figured I'd post a few of them here. This is a piece of box elder firewood from a buddy of mine in LA, turned just a bit before I moved to NM. From memory, I'd say it's about 12" across the long tips, and somewhere around 6" across. I think this one just finished with Formby's Tung Oil Finish and wax, as I recall:

VM 1014 01 - 800.jpg

Here's another piece from the same load of firewood. Probably about 11" across, maybe a bit smaller. I think this one was another Formby's finish. I'd roughed it out wet and left the collar pretty square. By the time it dried, it had warped enough that I couldn't do much with the collar except sand it by hand. I'm not that fond of the square transition at the collar, but that's how it ended up.

VM 1032 06 - 800.jpg

VM 1032 02 - 800.jpg

And lastly, a mesquite bowl that's too deep for its own good. Somewhere around 9" to 10" across. I know I used BLO on this piece, but don't remember if I used lacquer over it or not. I think I did. This one sold to a designer who used it in decorating a house in Hollywood that Cameron Diaz was renting to Sandy Gallin. Last I saw of it, it was on the kitchen counter with a bunch of tomatoes in it.

VM 1020 01 - 800.jpg

C&C are welcome as always...

I wondered if you still took pictures, let alone turned! :p

All of them are very nice, but that mesquite is wood is beautiful! :thumb: My dad is hoping to pick some up for us while visiting my brother in OK this weekend.

I'd agree somewhat with the C&C on the collar but the rest of that piece is fantastic. Really nice shape and you couldn't ask for nicer wood.

Actually I take that back, you could ask for more of that mesquite! Maybe it would look good shorter, but you might also loose some of that fantastic sweep to the grain. Overall I personally really like the shape as is.

The HF is a lot nicer than he's letting on guys;) I'd love to turn a mesquite bowl that deep...did you Monster it or go the hard route? Finish on all of 'em is second to none!

Thanks, guys. I've got more pics coming as I get them processed. I was pleasantly surprised to discover that I did enough turning this year (and the end of last year) to have enough pics to do my yearly photo calendar. More on that later, too. ;)

Jim, as I recall I did the deep bowl old-school style...gouges and my heavy scraper. Might have also used the Ci0 carbide tool on some of the finish cuts.

I've still got a few pieces of that mesquite left in the stash, just getting harder and harder to turn as it waits for me to return to the shop. A couple of the blanks are big ones that will be a bear to core. (And Jim, you know how much fun I have coring dry wood, huh?) :rofl:

I've still got a few pieces of that mesquite left in the stash, just getting harder and harder to turn as it waits for me to return to the shop. A couple of the blanks are big ones that will be a bear to core. (And Jim, you know how much fun I have coring dry wood, huh?) :rofl:

I'm going to call that motivation to get to it before it gets any harder :rofl: :D :thumb:

Steve, I learned from Mark, so there's definitely some Cothren influence in my NE bowls.

Thanks all for the kind words. :thumb:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk