Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mortiser/Drum Sander Questions

Mortiser/Drum Sander Questions

I'm thinking of taking a ride to Grizzly in Muncy Pa. after the holidays. I am thinking of buying a G9976 Mortiser and a G0459P 12" Drum Sander. I was wondering if any of you have either of these and how well they work? Are they worth having in a small shop? The sander really looks like it would save a lot of time and would help get a real flat surface. I have never used either and was wondering if anyone has any experience with them. Thanks.

i have the g0645 mortising machine, and it's a real trooper. if you're only doing a hand full of mortises, i'd recommend the one i've got (and you'll save some $$ too). cannot say anything about the sander, but the service people at grizzly are good. i've bought several machines from them.
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

Thanks Dan. The g0645 is the one I am considering, I wrote the wrong number down.

drum sander? you need to look at that drum sander as a flat surface sander but its not a finish sander you will still need to sand by hand with a RO or sanding blocks, they work well for figured woods that your planer wont plane smooth without tear out.

mortiser? like dan mentioned you need to look at how many mortises you plan to make, sometimes just a drill and chisel plus your table saw will suffice..

to many of us, me included bought this tool or that tool because we thought we needed it then to find out it just collects dust most of the time
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    to many of us, me included bought this tool or that tool because we thought we needed it then to find out it just collects dust most of the time
    Very true, and I am working toward getting rid of those tools.
    “When love and skill work together, expect a masterpiece.” - John Ruskin
    “Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” - Oscar Wilde

sayer, I sent you a pm.
    I have a delta mortising attachment for drill press that I havent used in 2 years, and you are more than welcome to it.
    Human Test Dummy

Thank you all for the info. I did look into the attachment for the drill press but as I will be using this a lot I think it would be easier to have a dedicated machine. I also have a few of those had to have items that collect dust. Allen, thank you for your generous offer, I sent you a pm. I will need to rethink the sander, I thought it could also be used as a finish sander with the correct grit paper.

with fine paper you can get a decent degree of smoothness but not ready for finish on anything i have ever done with one.. a random orbital is one tool that you will always need unless you get into hand tools heavily and can smooth wood with a plane effectively. let alone it takes time to change out the grits to do a proper sanding job with one of the drum sanders .. in my opinion its tool for getting things close and flat.. and for that the right one is indispensable
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

if youre going to be building table tops or panels for doors, a drum sander is a beautiful tool to obtain a nice even surface.
    go for the biggest one you can afford.
    Human Test Dummy

Thanks, I learned that with my planer, bought a 8" and its way to small.