right angle handle changeover for planer

Carol Reed

In Memoriam
I have a Dewalt DW733 planer - oldie but a goodie. It has the elevation handle sticking out of the top. The DW735 has a wheel type handle on the side for the same purpose.

How can I change mine to a 735 configuration without changing planers?

The reason I ask is that I want to stack the planer under the Performax sander in the tool trailer to consolidate floor space.

Thanks.

There's more than 1 way to skin a cat. Can you supply a few pic's of the 2 machines, maybe even setting in the positions you want them in.

Edit...

Carol

Are you planning to leave the planer under the sander when using it?

I had my small planer on a tray type drawer & pulled it out to use up to 8' stock.

Attachments

• A1 myshop 059.jpg
    A1 myshop 059.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Guys, I'm under the impression Carol plans to have the planer under the drum sander when in use. (Floor space issues.) I'm guessing there won't be enough clearance to use the handle on top.

Two things going on here. One is space and the other is weight.

Yes, the intention is to use the planer in position under the sander. I could make the planer slide out, but the infrastructure to support that is too heavy. Think of the added weight of slides/wheels, etc. and the heavier cab material needed. The load stopping capability of the tow vehicle is only 5000 pounds in relation to the towed vehicle, including the weight of the towed vehicle. Every ounce counts or some desired tool gets left behind.

Larry is right. The planer handle looks just like Ed's pictures. I think I need to see exploded drawings of the height adjustment mechanisms of the 733 and the 735. Maybe some replacement parts from one model to the next......???

I am now collecting weights of all the tools. Placement in the trailer has to include a balanced load from side to side and a 60/40 split over the axles end to end.

This is getting real interesting.

" The load stopping capability of the tow vehicle is only 5000 pounds in relation to the towed vehicle, including the weight of the towed vehicle"

Amazing!!!!

The Chevy Astro Van by comparison is rated to tow up to 5400 pounds. With trailer brakes.

Does that include a trailer with brakes & does your trailer have brakes? If not it should have.

Last edited:
Remembering the tow vehicle was not designed to be a tow vehicle. Says so right in the owner's manual under 'Towing.' The brakes are more than adequate to stop the 30,000 pounds of the loaded rig. And yes, the trailer does, and must, have its own brakes in the 5,000 weight range. So I get some choices: reduce, as I can, the 30,000 pounds of the RV and manage the trailer weight to keep within the capabilities of the brakes and loads on both vehicles.

The reason that I am delving into this is that the pro trucker that moved my loaded trailers to Nevada commented on the fact that they were seriously overloaded and dangerous even for him to tow. I am not a pro trucker. Managing the weight and length of a large RV, without the trailer is a handful. Add the loaded trailer, and the the combined weight and length commands my undivided attention. This pro trucker is also a member of my congregation, so his advise and counsel is close at hand, and he has expressed nothing but admiration for my endeavors. In other words, I ain't getting shined on. I am fortunate to know him. On other thing: what I am piloting down the road is my entire world. There is no 'home' to return to as the wrecker carries off the wreckage.

Your Astro van has braking capabilities for its intended function, Bart. So does my RV. Not an apples to apples comparison between the two if all we compare are the final numbers. The intended functions differ.

As I said, this is getting interesting.

Keep at it Carol. You doing the right thing. I doubt many if not most ordinary people who tow take enough time to get into these issues, accept them and deal with them correctly.
Case in point a friend of mine that is a mechanic and hotrod builder was poo pooing my weighing of all the items we put into our trailer before taking it out for the first loaded trip. He also said i was wasting money getting it all weighed at the local scale. But for a total of $30 i had total peace of mind and factual information to attempt to educate Linda as to why just because there is an open space she cannot fill it.
I still have one more task i plan to execute with the trailer and that is to determine the actual hitch weight.
Best of luck with a solution to your issues.

Just some thoughts on the canabilising of parts from one to another between 733 and 735. I have a 735 and its a very very different build.
The 4 posts on either corner have a sprocket very much like the Original woodpecker Prl lift. A chain then goes around all four sprockets. As handle to raise/lower the head is turned the chain turns and when dour posts rotate together (these posts btw are threaded something heavy like acme threads) the head goes up and down. Its a pretty smooth and slick arrangement and the sprockets etc are in a cavity of their own avoiding them gumming up with sawdust.
I dont have a clue what the weight differences are between the two planers but it may be worth looking to see if height issue could not be addressed and loose a few pounds in the process. I doubt it though.
Best suggestion i have seen so far is Glenns idea.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

I guess I'm just a little surprised that as long as motor homes have been around & with the manufacturers knowing how their products are used it would seem they would build in a little more leeway. From some of my experience on the other hand some of the RV manufactures build it cheap get their money kick it out the door & could care less.

Last edited:
Given that likely they, like nearly everything else, are built with off the shelf parts, and maybe the shelf one up breaks a price point. And perhaps their market study shows only a small fraction of RV buyers would be willing to pay for more towing capability. I do see far more RV's on the road not towing a thing! For some that is good, as there are no real skills required to pilot one of these things, which I find ludicrous. How much experience do most drivers have with 35,000+ pound rigs upwards of 40' long? I am well aware of the lack of skill and I drove a school bus just as long but not nearly as heavy. For some, watching the big rigs come in the park and get settled in a camping spot is a source of great amusement. Fortunately there are also many who come to help get the rig properly parked.

I guess I'm just a little surprised that as long as motor homes have been around & with the manufacturers knowing how their products are used it would seem they would build in a little more leeway. From some of my experience on the other hand some of the RV manufactures build it cheap get their money kick it out the door & could care less.

Bart often the issue is actually the hitch. Not the actual ratings GCVR of the coach itself. With the coach often extending beyond the frame it self the hitch is and its connection to the frame is often the limiting factor. May well not be the case here as I think she gave all the ratings in an earlier post.

Garry