right angle handle changeover for planer

Thanks, Gerry. Hadn't thought of the hitch. I had thought of mounting my motorcycle on the hitch AND towing the trailer. Hadn't thought about how that would affect the hitch weight limitations.

The other day I saw a hydraulic motorcycle carrier. It was mounted to parallel hitch receivers. The receiver frame was mounted to the coach frame. There was another center receiver extending outward to hook a trailer onto the coach. Maybe I am glad I can't afford that thing! I think it really complicates the issue here. :eek:

Carol,
Another thing to remember with weights and towing. It isn't so much that your MH won't Pull your trailer, the important thing is Safely Stopping it. I had my little F150 with a very lightweight (so claimed by the manufacturer anyway) 5th wheel. My folks and I carefully found a truck which on paper could tow the trailer. It was just me out there on the roads for three years, and I didn't overload it, and my little 1/2 ton truck hauled the trailer quite well, but I'm pretty certain it was that i drove conservatively.

In your situation, I'd be certain and scale your rig, both the MH and trailer empty (if possible) and then again when loaded and find out with a full load of fluids (fuel, potable water and a reasonable amount of grey and/or black water) so you know where you stand weight wise. If your parishioner said it was over weight, I'd aggressively pare down what you're hauling as much as you can. Not ideal, just trying to 'second the motion' that you want to pay attention so you're not overloaded.

In my first post, Ned, I alluded to the issue of stopping as being more important that hauling. I have felt the weight of a trailer pushing me as I came upon a stop sign. It was a combination of much lighter loads and conservative driving, but I still felt it. This is why I am concerning myself diligently with this issue of the motorhome and the shop trailer. Thanks for your concern.

Over on the Escapees forums, I 'hang out' on the HDT or Heavy Duty Truck forum, because a) Honestly, they're cool b) I drove semi and c) boy wouldn't it be nice?
Other than the obvious of how to set up a class 8 truck ( like the one with the Smart Car on it), they also do a lot of discussion on 'why' an HDT, and Stopping is the main safety point they reiterate time and again.
One question, does the shop trailer have electric brakes?