spalted maple pot call

A spalted maple pot call in progress. It has some curl too, but for some reason it doesn't show up in the picture. The top will be slate with a glass soundboard. I went a little thinner on the bottom than I had intended. I'll call it a new design!:D

Well I got it finished.

IMAG0680.jpgtop.jpgIMAG0682.jpgIMAG0683.jpgsideview.jpgsidetop (Medium).jpg

Last edited:
Looking good so far, John. I'll bet the curl pops a bit more when you get some oil finish on that maple. :thumb:

[Edit to add....]

Oh yeah, the finish shows off the curl now. :thumb:

Jim, your sound doesn't really need the help. You don't sound half bad for a skinny guy. ;) (From one [semi] skinny guy to another.)

A Pot Caller is a type of turkey call. The more modern and urban turkeys have embraced newer digital technologies like cell phones and WiFi, but the more rural turkeys (like those in Tennessee) only respond to analog calls like a pot caller. :D

They killing me too Bob. Boy i dont think my stomach could survive a meeting with Vaughn and Jim. I would laugh so much i probably end up with a hernia.

John nice wood and call. I am thinking u gotta put a brand on it like "Duck Commander" :D

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

John
Have you considered stabilizing? Maple takes stable about the nicest of the woods I have tried. Dunno how it might affect the sound though. If the slate can be removed, I'll be happy to stable the pot at no charge, just postage.
Frank

Thanks for the offer Frank, but this one is out the door. I did use some thin CA glue on a couple of spots. If I turn another I'll take you up on the offer to see if it makes a difference sound wise.

Stephen, I've had a few bust loose when I try them out in the backyard. The wife threatened me with death if I didn't stop using them in the house!:D

John, I too build these calls. I have a question do you leave the lower support ring whole or notch the ring like others do? I notch so the bottom slate/glass is supported on just for posts. It takes time to make one and then to make it sound right. Your's looks good.