Whats your day job?

Ryan Mooney

Staff member
Curious what folks day job is (in general terms)?
How or if it has anything to do with woodworking?

I'll start:
  • Computer jockey (sort of hybrid system admin/programmer and no I don't do windows :D :thumb:). :type:
  • Nothing, but its a great way to get your head put back on right. :bonkers:

I help run a woodworking forum. :D

On the side I'm a computer jockey (surprise) too, 99% programming anymore, but used to manage mid-range systems. Nothing to do with woodworking, grew up building stuff and always been a part of me.

I am a Facilities Manager for an injection molding Co. i have 30 molding machines,80 support equipment,3 buildings, and 600 molds i am responsible for.

Environmental Control Systems Chief Operating Officer.
Being unemployed I am {yes Dear} in charge of sanitizing of dishware, flooring, clothing etc. total maintenance & control of the HVAC systems{filter changes, window & door openings & firewood consumption}. Also over-see the security dept. which includes feeding & bathing them{not mentioning the clean-up} & providing medical care via the local Vet.

As to relating to wood working, my 'think-tank' room supplies the majority of the necessary wood for the heating dept. :D

I teach welding, small engines, large engines and wood turning at our local high school.
Drive a school bus, dedicated route am and pm.
We raise generally 10 calves and 10 hogs per year for freezer pork and freezer beef for local customers.
With the drought, we have sold down to only feeding 4 brood cows this winter along with the team of Fjord ponies, grandkids ponies, and three saddle horses.

Retired from 30+ years as a Tool & Die Maker. Now working 3 days a week at a local hardware store just to keep socially active. Been into woodworking since school, 50+ years.

Retired from GE in 1998 at the age of 55 after 34 yrs service in various capacities: Apprenticeship in Tool & Die Making (4 yr program), Tool Maker (3 yrs), and the rest as a Mfg. Engineer, and Mgr. Mfg. Engineering in the Large & Small Steam Turbine, and Turbo-Compressor businesses.

I spend most of my time on the PC and the rest on reading, archery (compound & recurve), golf, handyman "projects", maintenance & yard work, hunting & fishing, fly tying, billiards, BBQ/grilling, getting back into woodworking (casual), and soon to start model making. Life is good!

Retired!

22½ years in USMC;
12 years as a Regulatory Compliance Consultant;
7 years as owner/principle of a Property Management Company.

Retired in 2004 - never been happier!

I've been in Computer Networking since before it was cool. I hit 30 years in the field this year and still love it. Constant change brings new challenges which keeps it fresh. Who would have thought that the geeks shall inherit the earth :D.

Account Supervisor for a rental car company. I work inside an insurance company managing the replacement rentals. So if you wreck your car in IA, KS, NE, SD, UT, AZ, NM or MN and get into a rental car with said insurance compay, chances are I'll know! :type:

Retired, since 1999, but going back to work part time in March. Going to count fish at a dam. Get some "mad money" so I can buy more wood and upgrade some tools. Before retiring I was a project manager. Been doing some kind of woodworking most my life, starting with my Dad teaching me. Since I retired it has been my main hobby.

Last edited:
Programmer. I generally create custom applications for marketing professionals using all that scanner data that gets collected at the grocery stores.

I've worked with more languages and systems than I can remember, and it's constantly evolving.