Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Turned A Bat For My Nephew (With and Oops!)

Turned A Bat For My Nephew (With and Oops!)

My 9 yr. old nephew asked me to turn him a bat back in Feb. I finally picked up an ash blank last week and got it turned this weekend. It's almost perfect to the regulations for a 32" bat, but a bit thick in a few places by about 1/8". It was whipping around quite a bit and I don't have a steady rest so I called it good. Got it all sanded up, transferred a label I made up and oiled it. Took some pics and it was pointed out to me that I made a spelling error! (that's the oops!) My nephew is as blonde as they come, has pretty light skin and is very fast so we started calling him "White Lightning" Well as you can see, I forgot one of the n's.......I guess that makes it even more of a one of a kind bat! I will call him "White Lighting" from now on too!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20121213_182723.jpg   IMG_20121213_202540.jpg   IMG_20121217_185055.jpg   IMAG1848.jpg   IMAG1849.jpg  

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Jeff thats neat i have one on my to do list even have the blank on hand already round. LV has them in the store. Think they rejects from a factory. Mine is maple.

BTW i did not even notice the spelling mistake. I saw the bolts of lightning and read it as you intended without even seeing the characters.

You a very cool uncle. None of mine were up to doing anything like this. Hope the kid enjoys and appreciates it.
    cheers

Vry nce Jef
    Faith, Hope & Charity

the spelling error is just great.
    I wonder how many people will see that bat and realize the word is missing that n.

bats pretty cool also.
    Human Test Dummy

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble View Post
    Jeff thats neat i have one on my to do list even have the blank on hand already round. LV has them in the store. Think they rejects from a factory. Mine is maple.

BTW i did not even notice the spelling mistake. I saw the bolts of lightning and read it as you intended without even seeing the characters.

You a very cool uncle. None of mine were up to doing anything like this. Hope the kid enjoys and appreciates it.
    Thanks Rob, my BIL was the one who noticed the spelling error. 6 other family members did not at first so I'm not going to worry about it. One of my uncles made thing for me a few times, but my grandpa and dad did all the time. Just keeping the tradition alive.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Quote Originally Posted by allen levine View Post
    the spelling error is just great.
    I wonder how many people will see that bat and realize the word is missing that n.

bats pretty cool also.
    Allen, it bugged me quite a bit at first, but I like it now too! Thanks!
    My Website

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gibson View Post
    Vry nce Jef
    thanks Bob!
    My Website

Eh, In this day and age of online forums and texting, who would ever notice a pselling error?

Nice job!
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

You mean to tell me your lathe doesn't have spell-check? How primitive!

Misspelling or not, I'm sure that bat will be treasured.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

That's really nice Jeff. And knowing 9 year old boys (I have a 12 year old). It'll make a great rock, apple, anything he can throw up and hit bat too!