Joining 3/4" & 1/2" w/a Kreg jig

M Toupin

I want to use a Kreg pocket hole jig to join 3/4" & 1/2". Has anyone done this and know what length screws I need? I just got a Kreg and haven't used it much yet so I'm kinda feeling out the learning curve. The Kreg manual and website only talk about joining like sizes.
kj.jpg
Thanks

Mike

1 1/4" might be risky and poke through the 1/2"

So looks like you need 1"

Kreg pocket hole jig to join 3/4" & 1/2"

You could use the 1 in screw or as an alternate option you could adjust the depth collar on the Kreg drill bit so that it doesn't shoot the hole as deep.

I have the Kreg Rocket Jig and I think its great.

I have made minor adjustments to the dept collar, when using the jig on different thicknesses of wood.... usually with success.

However I would try it out on some scrap first to be safe.

I have a manual from the K3 Master System bought here in the UK.
There is a "Tip" at the foot of page 7, which is the Quick-Start Guide, about setting the Depth Collar closer or further from the Shoulder of the Drill Bit. It may be that if you set the Collar nearer to the Shoulder, the shallower hole may allow you to use the standard 1 1/4" screw rather than having to buy the 1", unless of course you already have the smaller size.
Perhaps try on some scrap to find out how much closer the collar has to be set.
Hope this helps.
Regards

I just thought of something else, I could pass on about this....

If you do decide to use the 1in screws, make sure that they are the washer head type, like the ones that Kreg makes.

I was experimenting with the jig on some scrap, and I used a 1in deck screw. It pulled itself though the bottem of the pocket hole and split the wood. Good thing it was just scrap! I suppose that if you set the clutch on your drill/driver light enough it might prevent that from happening.

I have never had this problem with the Kreg screws.

Thanks all. i Figured it out with a bit of experimentation. I only had 1 1/4" screws on hand so I was trying to figure out what size I needed to order. I had to make a quick trip to Lowes (now that's an oxymoron on a Sat afternoon). Lowes actually had genuine Kreg 1" washer head screws in stock! Yea, I was shocked too :). I had to play with the depth collar a bit to get it set right, but it wasn't bad.

This is the first real project using pocket screws so I was a bit apprehensive. While I haven't used it much yet, I can see it is going to be a "nice to have" option for lots of things. I think I'll still stick with the traditional methods for fine furniture, but for utility stuff and the like I'll definitely be pulling the Kreg out.

Mike

Mike,

I'm sure that you will get alot of use out of the Kreg jig.

I picked mine up at Rockler on sale, a while back. So far it has been the most used work shop item that I have for under $40!

I just saw 2 episodes of New Yankee where Norm was showing how to build jigs that he uses. I plan on making a few of them, and I'm planning on using the Kreg jig to hold them together.

Mike,

Another tip I just thought of regarding pocket hole joinery, is to make sure that the stock is clamped so that it is square to each other before shooting the screws in.

I have made quickie stuff where I just held the pieces together and shot the screws in. It almost never worked out for me. The pieces tended to not stay aligned perferctly with each other. This required sanding after the fact to even them out.... an unnecessary step, if only I had taken my time. -- at least it wasn't anything important.

Adjust the depth stop on the drill and/or adjust the distance from the end of the 3/4" piece to adjust the length screw required. I use Kreg a Bunch and suptle movement in either of those adjustments will make up for variance in screw length.