Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mobile Base for Joiner

Mobile Base for Joiner

I have a Ridgid 6 1/8in joiner (JP610), that I would like to make a mobile base for it. It would be nice if I could move it around my shop. Currently it has the stock 4 adjustable feet.

I would like something that will be very solid when locked in place. I don't like the idea of the whirling cutter head wobbling as I am pushing stock across it.

If anyone has any ideas or plans, it would be appreciated.
    We create with our hands in wood what our mind sees in thought.
    Disclosure: Formerly was a part-time sales person & instructor at WoodCraft in Buffalo, NY.
    www.tinyurl.com/thewoodshoppe

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...er=tool%20base

This is what I used for my Jointer, Radial Drill-press, & 14" band-saw
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

Just find some scrap in your shop. I used some full 1" oak and this planer weighs in around 300-400 lbs. Just add locking casters and your good. I just glued the joints together. It's a simple project. Good casters are not cheap though.
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

I'm with Bart on this one. Or at least with his concept. My jointer is on a Delta base that is very solid. The Rockler is a clone of the Delta base. Harbor Freight had one of these for quite some time. I don't know if they still carry it or not. The HF was a great value.
    ________

Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

Dave,

A picture would be great!

thanks,
    -Sean
    We create with our hands in wood what our mind sees in thought.
    Disclosure: Formerly was a part-time sales person & instructor at WoodCraft in Buffalo, NY.
    www.tinyurl.com/thewoodshoppe

Sean, "I think" the Rigid Herculift that you see on the Rigid table saws will fit on the Rigid Jointer, and if so, they work great. I put one on my WW Buddy's Rigid Saw and we both really like it. I bought 4 more when they were on sale a while back at HD, and plan to put one on his Rigid jointer if it will fit. I also intend to get the add on kit that adapts it to lathes (because of their longer base frame), and put one on the new HF lathe that he gave me. I just haven't got around to trying one on the jointer yet.

What I like about that lift for the lighter weight machines, (like we're talking about here), is that you can just step on one pedal and it lifts the whole machine up and all 4 wheels castor, making it easy to move in any direction, and then when you get it moved, just step on the same pedal and use your toe to lift the unlock tab and it sets right down on the machine base's 4 legs and it is solid again since the wheels are up. It is a very well built unit too.
    Last edited by Norman Hitt; 03-25-2007 at 08:26 AM.

I had that same jointer a couple of years ago and had it on a HTC mobile base. It was plenty solid. http://www.amazon.com/HTC-HTC2000-Un...4829256&sr=1-1

Sean, here you go.
    Last edited by Dave Richards; 06-18-2009 at 04:53 PM.
    Irony: The opposite of Wrinkly

Dave

OUCH my ankles hurt just lookin at your base.

I have the Rockler base on my jointer with the normal Sears jointer base which is narrow & never had a tippy problem with it.

I built my base cabinet to get good dust collection & lower the jointer just a little so it could set beside my table-saw & bench & have the fence low enough to clear items being run over the table-saw. I now also have a place where I store jointer & planer blades & the set up tools. I also have a riser underneath the table-saw raising it to 36" or 36 1/2" I don't remember which. These bases have worked out great for me. Actually one of them is a Harbor Freight base. I did have a problem with the HF base in that the pivot hole in the pedal was not placed correctly & would not allow the pedal to lift the machine up high enough. I welded up the holes & re-drilled them.

Now before someone says why didn't you just take it back & exchange it the store is over an hour away. Much quicker to weld it up & cheaper too.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

Bart, I've never had any trouble banging into those things.

I have thought about a base cabinet instead but never got around to building it.
    Irony: The opposite of Wrinkly