Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AEM 37" Wide Belt Sander - Any Opinions?

AEM 37" Wide Belt Sander - Any Opinions?

So, for whatever reason I keep getting calls for jobs like "I am re-doing my entire kitchen, and I would really love to have butcher block counter tops. Do you do that kind of work?" Of course, I do. However, I don't have a wide belt sander in house, and the sanding usually gets subbed out. Given the fact that I have had a surprising numbers of inquiries of this nature in a very short time span, I think it may be time to invest in a new machine. I am looking at getting a 37" wide belt, (75" length belt). Right now I might be able to get my hands on an AEM. Any experience with this brand? I know that AEM has service and parts support through Timesavers, which seems like a plus. Any and all comments and opinions are welcome. Thanks!

- Hutch
    Last edited by Matt Hutchinson; 12-22-2012 at 10:18 PM.

Matt as I understand it AEM and Timesaver are one in the same now. I wouldnt be afraid of an AEM as all. Just look it over good and try to check the bearing as best you can and look the rubber drum over REAL good for groves
    A Turn N Time
    Components for John Smith Organs and the Hobby Organ Builder

Frog Pond Guitars

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Ok i know you asked for opinions on the machine but i am gonna tell you my thoughts on the whole idea. You aint gonna like my comments but i aint gonna sleep if i dont let you see the other side.

1) Save your capital dont buy a machine at least just yet. January is coming and you gonna need to pay rent on that new shop and things will get quieter. So if you have spare loot right now save it to invest in marketing your business in the leaner time.

2) An enquiry is and enquiry not and order. If you had 4 or 5 orders of this kind or even more under your belt then i would say maybe consider it depending on what cost it involved to sub it out.

3) I am gonna go on a limb and bet you think that you not closing the deals because of cost and that one element you could cut out is the cost of subbing it out thereby making yourself cheaper and you think closing the order. If that is your belief then take out the cost of subbing it and eat that cost initially to test your point. When you have proven it on 4 jobs you have secured because you have now reduced your price and margin due to no subbing cost then yeah i would say consider a wide belt sander. But if i were one of your shareholders i would be saying prove to me you getting a wide belt sander will secure the orders.

Guys in small business are too quick to pull the trigger on new machines. If you were in a business with several shareholders they would ask you questions to support your capital spending.

If you were in a hobby/retired and have the capital then go ahead and have the convenience. But i would argue you better off allocating that coin to another function at the right time rather than buying the machine at this stage.

If on the other hand you were setting up to do cutting boards on a mass production basis and this was going to be the primary part of the business, well then i see it as an essential tool in the business and different story.

Sorry just my five cents to help you keep focus. Apologies in advance if i am offending you for my blunt comments.
    cheers

Thanks for the comments guys!

Rob- I don't mind people being blunt, so no worries. I totally get what you are saying. I haven't had an opportunity to close the deals partly due to the fact that I am too busy to meet the necessary timelines. I want to hire some part time help and take on more work. That said, I wouldn't be buying the machine simply "in hopes" of getting the work. It would partly be a purchase of opportunity. (I have found a pretty darn good deal.) I keep going back and forth in my head as to whether it's the right time or not, but I have good work on the books through mid-February, with a bunch of other work kinda floating in limbo (yes, I know that's not work I can count on ) In particular, right after Christmas there is a specific customer that I will be contacting to see if she still needs someone to do all new wood counters in her kitchen. If I get this job then there is no question I will buy the machine because of its affordable price.

Whatever happens, I am being careful to leave money in the bank. Thanks!

- Hutch

Matt, sorry but I don't know much about what kind of work you do however in my shop a wide belt has stepped me up several notches. I do kitchens, baths and such and have done a maple countertop or two. The additiion of a wide belt to my shop was a very good investment. I save lots of time sanding and can produce work way above the quality that I was able to do before when I only had a drum sander. (YUK) I have a timesavers "speed sander" its an entry level machine but a serious machine none the less.
    I once heard that cats and women will do darn well what they please and that men and dogs would do well to accept it and just go on.

Hey Jim,

That's interesting to hear. Right now my business is producing a wide range of custom products. My niche market is spindle turning/turning replication/architechtural turning. Fine custom furniture meets a slightly broader market, and beyond that what I do is market driven (if someone calls me to make a walnut kitchen island top, I'm not going to say "I don't do that.") So the fact that your investment has really helped you is good to know. Cuz one thing that has been happening is a rapid upswing in phone calls regarding all sorts of custom kitchen work, and right now it's looking like there won't be a "slow season" this year. Now I just have to find some competant and skilled help. It's a good place to be , but I definitely have to be very careful not to move too fast.

Thanks, and Merry Christmas y'all!
    -Hutch

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Hutchinson View Post
    ...Now I just have to find some competant and skilled help...
    -Hutch
    Uhhh, there's this guy down in Delton...
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Hutchinson View Post
    Hey Jim,

That's interesting to hear. Right now my business is producing a wide range of custom products. My niche market is spindle turning/turning replication/architechtural turning. Fine custom furniture meets a slightly broader market, and beyond that what I do is market driven (if someone calls me to make a walnut kitchen island top, I'm not going to say "I don't do that.") So the fact that your investment has really helped you is good to know. Cuz one thing that has been happening is a rapid upswing in phone calls regarding all sorts of custom kitchen work, and right now it's looking like there won't be a "slow season" this year. Now I just have to find some competant and skilled help. It's a good place to be , but I definitely have to be very careful not to move too fast.

Thanks, and Merry Christmas y'all!
    -Hutch
    Moving too fast is something you don't want to do and it is ill advised. Stay within your comfort range of skills and move forward slowly. I've always had a policy and have never once broken it. Pay cash for all tool purchases and building improvements. NEVER FINANCE ANYTHING

I've just recently completed a brand new shop across the state from where we had lived for 28 years, when I get my new house done I'll open the shop for business. We sold out back in June and moved over to be around the grandkids as they grow up. Gutsy move for an old fart. If I can get that done you can surely spring for a wide belt. Check out the Timesavers "speed sander". It's an A frame machine and works great for me.
    I once heard that cats and women will do darn well what they please and that men and dogs would do well to accept it and just go on.

Hello Matt, I don't do woodworking for a living but do have a 24 inch WBSander, 10Hp. Don't buy junk. Be sure to check rubber coated rollers for damage they are very expensive. I assume you have 3 phase power. And good dust collection is a must.
    This is my first post.

Brian, I could not help but notice your bandsaw. What is it and do you have a better picture of it?
    “When love and skill work together, expect a masterpiece.” - John Ruskin
    “Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” - Oscar Wilde