Thread: Most annoying tool in my shop

Reno NV

Most annoying tool in my shop

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uselesssander.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	8.9 KB 
ID:	72521

But it actually came in handy today. Was making some custom Cherry molding.

Just a simple little cove profile and needed something to sand it.

This tool comes with a nice selection of profiles to use.

The sander itself is an anti-ergonomic wonder. Too big to really put your hand around. The vibration nearly numbs it to death within minutes.

But the little rubber doohickeys with the profile work just fine on their own without the sander...
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

RETIRED(!) in Austintown, Ohio
    I have one of those...somewhere... I haven't used it since before we moved here from California - over eight years ago!

The little rubber profiles that fit it are in a drawer with the sticky back sandpaper, though. They do get occasional use.
    Jim D.

Amherst, New Hampshire
    I bought one on CL about 2 months ago for $20.00 brand new. Tried it once and put it away.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

The Gorge Area, Oregon
    I'm going to say that the most useless tool in my shop is generally me....

I have something akin to that that also does flush cut plunge cutting. Was very very useful the ~3 times I've actually needed it.. and I've only had it for.. 5? years. Haven't actually used the sander feature (although if I remembered to use it it might have been handy there .. twice..)

Oceanside, So. Calif. 5 mi. to the ocean
    I'm lucky. Glenn gave me one. So the only thing I am out is the space it takes up in the cupboard. It sounds great. However, I have never used it.

Darn it. There just has to be something for me to use it on.

First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.

Wapakoneta, OH
    I have to agree, I threw the power head out and kept the profile pieces.

Oak Harbor Washington on Whidbey Island
    Annoying annoying yes every tool from my shop is annoying they are calling to me from the storage facility where they are stored. Whats really annoying is having no shop building to put them in. One little tool that I don't use to much wouldn't bother me one bit.

Try a whole shop full of tools gentlemen. 2 of all the major floor model tools.

It's like needing to pull a bad tooth & no way to do it.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

GTA Ontario Canada
    Thanks for the warning Brent. I have seen those several times and thought mmmh but resisted the buy. Now i can scratch it from the list and get these and accept hand sanding.

Between Aledo and Fort Worth, TX
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gibson View Post
    I bought one on CL about 2 months ago for $20.00 brand new. Tried it once and put it away.
    And now you know why it was on Craig's List!! I bought a harbor freight unit. Noisiest thing I've ever heard. But it did what I needed it to. I tried to use it as a detail sander on the chair I'm refinishing for the LOML, and it worked ok. Got into some spots I would have fought with otherwise. It has it's place, most of the time it's like yours....stowed away. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas
    When Irish Eyes are smiling, they're usually up to something!!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3