Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Time for Another Safety Reminder

Time for Another Safety Reminder

I just read that an Australian turner was killed at the lathe in the last couple of days. His wife went to call him for tea and found him on his back with his head split open. That makes two people in the past couple of years that I've heard of being killed in this manner.

Be careful out there people, and ALWAYS wear quality face protection.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Wow, thats terrible. My thoughts go out to that family.
    It's not what you achieve in life...It's what you overcome!

Geeze Vaughn. Don't give my wife any ideas!!

Wow thats a first time i hear something this bad as an accident. Thats really sad. Feel quite guilty now working with blunt tools but i did have my proper protection on and earplugs.
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble View Post
    ...working with blunt tools but i did have my proper protection on and earplugs.
    Good for you on the face protection, but if you needed earplugs to turn, you tools were WAY too dull. Were you hearing a screeching sound?

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Good for you on the face protection, but if you needed earplugs to turn, you tools were WAY too dull. Were you hearing a screeching sound?
    Rob was your lathe running backwards.....?

I have to get a better face shield, the one I have sucks, or I can use my full on helmet, shield, filter combo from Triton, but it is a bit of a hassle to use daily. I use it when turning larger stuff or stuff that throws a lot of debris, but for just smaller stuff I use only safety glasses.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	22r7260s5b.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	35.8 KB 
ID:	72570
    I was thinking of this one from LV.

Sorry to hear about the guy who died, that is really sad.
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Sadly this isn't the first I've heard about this year... Please do be be safe folks! Also be careful with the bandsaw!!

Vaughn, the AAW guidelines do recommend ear protection: http://www.woodturner.org/resources/safety.htm although I to am ?guilty? of not using it on the lathe, lathe work is pretty darn quiet unless you're doing something overly aggressive or with really dull tools (either of which means I need to stop and regroup).

I always wear a facemask (this was drilled into me by my shop teacher over 25 years ago; he was a good teacher, something for which I am still grateful). Not just for bowls either, I actually had a piece of a spindle let go earlier this year, it went "tick tick tick bam!" and a chunk bounced off of my face shield and ended up in the rafters (I was doing a rather odd/sharp cornered =[]=[]= shape and one of the high points is what let go). At best it would have really smarted!

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    I have to get a better face shield, the one I have sucks, or I can use my full on helmet, shield, filter combo from Triton, but it is a bit of a hassle to use daily. I use it when turning larger stuff or stuff that throws a lot of debris, but for just smaller stuff I use only safety glasses.

I was thinking of this one from LV.
    Looks very similar to the Uvex Bionics that I have (might even be, I can't tell from the LV site). Its relatively lightweight and comfortable for a full face shield; definitely recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post

I was thinking of this one from LV...
    I agree with Ryan...that looks like the Uvex Bionics, and I've heard nothing but good things about them.

Ryan, I avoid the need for ear protection by cranking the music up loud enough that I can't hear the lathe anymore.

workingwoods.com

bethel springs TN, but was born and raised in north east PA
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post

Ryan, I avoid the need for ear protection by cranking the music up loud enough that I can't hear the lathe anymore. [/COLOR]
    me two

January 25, 1953 To May 17, 2011

On May 4, 2011, Joan Kelly of Memphis, Tennessee, was turning a heavy cedar bowl blank on her lathe.* Something happened during that turning that caused her bowl blank to shatter, pieces striking her in the face and forehead.* Despite a quick response by her husband to call an ambulance and apply first aid, and receiving two weeks of exemplary medical care, Joan never regained consciousness.* On May 17th, Joan passed away with her family at her side.
    Remember the tea kettle - it is always up to its neck in hot water, yet it
    still sings!