Late ornament

Eric Black

Started this guy yesterday, he is ready to sand/shape and final fit. The pattern is from Judy Roberts and is available for free at her website intarsia.com (Thanks Judy). I used cedar for all the parts. I would like to wish all a Merry Christmas and seasons’ best and lots of saw dust in the coming year.
santa bear.jpg

thanks Dan, and a good point an early start for next year. I love this part of intarsia, when the pieces start to take shape. A little more sanding/shaping and critiquing and then I can glue up and apply a finish. I hope Santa was good to everyone.

santa bear 2.jpg

Here is my finished bear, not perfect but brings my intarsia count too two. I tried lee valley finishing gel for the first time, seems like nice stuff although I think if the temperature in the shop was a little cooler it would have applied better.
santa bear 3.jpg

Thanks everyone, I made it for my mother as this was the first time in 18 years we able to have her with us at Christmas. A special Christmas for us.

Very nice Eric and thanks for the link to Judy's site. I downloaded the plans for both the whale and bear will look at giving them a go sometime. I like the look of your bear and this looks like a great place to start to try out intarsia. Never given it a go before so thanks for the inspiration. The stuff everyone else posted has been really intimidating. My old scroll saw is good to go so as soon as i get power sorted will try it out. :thumb: