It's a BOY! It's a STUD! It's a GRIZZLY!

Al Launier

Haven't "opened" it up ...................yet, just peeked. I snuck downstairs this morning while the girls were still sleeping. ;)

Didn't violate the "Do not open til Christmas".

It appears to be resting well, but needs a bath.

Anxious to fondle it and wake it up.

Pictures will follow when the bad boy is up & posing.

Hope you all have a nice Christmas.

OK Guys, the pictures will come, but unfortunately I'm curently confronted with:
  • 12"-18" blizzard. :(
  • Snow blowing & shoveling. :(
  • I have the base assembled.
  • I cannot go further until the mobile base comes in supposedly by end of tomorrow(???)
  • I then have to assemble that & place the saw base on that.
  • I may make a false bottom of 3/4" plywood to support ballast to reduce the top-heavy concern.
  • I'm 70 & am unable to lift the saw, especially the heavy end (motor) out of the box. :eek:
  • I'll have to solicit some help this weekend(?) from a neighbor to help me put it on the base.
  • Then I have to clean it up.
  • Then tune the saw.
  • Then I have to pose the saw for pictures! LOL
  • Before that, I have to learn how to use my new Olympus TG-1 camera (Christmas present from my daughter).
  • Before I take pictures, I'll probably be tired & have to take a nap. LOL ;)
  • This could take a while!
  • But, I'll savor the moment(s)!
  • I knew that getting a saw would help pass the winter, but I didn't anticipate it would be putting it together! LOL :D
  • Life is good! :thumb:

OK Guys, the pictures will come, but unfortunately I'm curently confronted with:
  • 12"-18" blizzard. :(
  • Snow blowing & shoveling. :(
  • I have the base assembled.
  • I cannot go further until the mobile base comes in supposedly by end of tomorrow(???)
  • I then have to assemble that & place the saw base on that.
  • I may make a false bottom of 3/4" plywood to support ballast to reduce the top-heavy concern.
  • I'm 70 & am unable to lift the saw, especially the heavy end (motor) out of the box. :eek:
  • I'll have to solicit some help this weekend(?) from a neighbor to help me put it on the base.
  • Then I have to clean it up.
  • Then tune the saw.
  • Then I have to pose the saw for pictures! LOL
  • Before that, I have to learn how to use my new Olympus TG-1 camera (Christmas present from my daughter).
  • Before I take pictures, I'll probably be tired & have to take a nap. LOL ;)
  • This could take a while!
  • But, I'll savor the moment(s)!
  • I knew that getting a saw would help pass the winter, but I didn't anticipate it would be putting it together! LOL :D
  • Life is good! :thumb:

Man, some people will use just about any excuse to get out of doing work. :rolleyes: :rofl: Oh, and you might want to add "figure out how to post pics on the forum" to your list. :D (Holler if you need help.)

Good idea on waiting for help to lift the saw onto the base. :thumb: It's gonna be heavy and unbalanced.

Well, I got a chance to start assembling the G0555LX. First up was the base. Then while waiting for the mobile base to arrive I made a "floor" for the base out of 3/4" plywood. Depending on how much weight I put inside the base as ballast to prevent tipping when moving the saw, I may decide to install a length of aluminum angle for added rigidity. The head of the 1/4-20x5/8" hex bolts all had an unusual size, probably a metric(?). My wrenches wouldn't fit properly, so I went to Lowes & picked up a couple dozen to use instead. But, why metric on a 1/4"-so thread???

I then assembled the base. I thought it was to be from Taiwan, instead it came from China. The baase did not collapse to the 19" stated on the carton, it would only go down to 19 1/2". Nevertheless, the Grizzly base fit lengthwise, but not widthwise. This resulted in a 2 1/4" space between the edged of the Grizzly base & the Mobile base. So I centered the GB on the MB & drilled through the mounting holes of the GB through the plywood floor inside. Then I made a transfer puch from a drill blank & punched through the hole in the plywod & Grizzly feet into the base pads of the MB. I now have a prick punch mark on each of the MB pads that I'll drill for a 3/8" bolt that will secure the MB to the GB & the plywood floor.

That's as far as I got today. Hopefully, I can finish drilling the MB & bolt it to the GB tomorrow. Then I'll have to round up a neighbor to help me lift the saw out of the box & onto the base. At that time, I'll be able to assess if there was any damaged caused during shipment. UPS already notified Grizzly that they had caused damage to the crate in shipment. It was good to know they already did this on their own. So far, I haven't seen any damage, but I can't see what's on the bottom of the crate. I'm optimistic things will be OK.

Til next time.
Al

Attachments

• 049.jpg
    049.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 43
  • 050.jpg
    050.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 38
  • 052.jpg
    052.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 39
  • 053.jpg
    053.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 40
  • 057.jpg
    057.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 39
  • 058.jpg
    058.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 40
  • 051.jpg
    051.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 38
Hi Al

I have that same saw, the G0555LX with the riser block mounted on the Shop Fox heavy duty base from Grizzly in my shop and don't find it top heavy. The base wheels spread the foot print out pretty good so moving it is very easy.
Your going to love that saw.

Al

I have a Delta 14" band saw with a Grizzly riser on it...being too cheap to pay the price of the Delta riser opted for the lesser expensive Grizzly riser... works great,:thumb: but did have to do some modifications.:D:D

I have a neighbor lined up to help me lift the saw out of the box & place it on the base. First though, we both have to dig our way out of another snow fall (~6"). If we can get together, I should at least have it bolted together & I can then tune it at will afterwards. Hopefully, the packaging help up to the UPS shipping damage to the box. I really don't want to go through a damage claim process.