It's a BOY! It's a STUD! It's a GRIZZLY!

Hi Al

I have that same saw, the G0555LX with the riser block mounted on the Shop Fox heavy duty base from Grizzly in my shop and don't find it top heavy. The base wheels spread the foot print out pretty good so moving it is very easy.
Your going to love that saw.

Al

Alan, when I set the mobile base (MB), I brought the sides in as close to the Grizzly base (GB) as I could, just to keep the consumed floorspace down, as I don't have that much room to spare in my shop. The MB is now bolted to the GB throught the "foot pads" as I noted above. If it seems that I've narrowed it too much I can remove the bolts & slide the MB apart if it seems too tippy. But, not knowing any better at this time, I'll see what develops.

Al

Hi Al

My wheels are closed up to the frame and work fine. I think it's because they are outside the frame and not under it. The box this saw came in look pretty rough but the saw was fine.

On another note, the only time I needed customer service from Grizzly was for my sliding table saw and it was the best. It would be great if all companies treated their customers like Grizzly does. CS included many follow up phone calls to be sure the problem was corrected "to my liking"
:D:thumb::thumb::D

When I first reported the shipping damage to the box, the CS rep stated she would call me after Christmas which was when I was to have it opened. She called the day after. Unfortunately, I hadn't opened the box yet because of "overriding" obligations elsewhere, except for a "stealthy peek" beforehand, so I couldn't comment on any damage. I must say that my first impressions of Grizzly service is all good! She stated that she would call back on Tuesday, but I think she intended to say the day after New Years.

Today my neighbor helped me take the saw out of the box & place it on the stand. That was a bear - could not have done it by myself. It would have been an accident waiting to happen if I had tried. So far I haven't seen any damage except for a bent sheet metal piece attached to the lower side guides and is positioned alongside the blade. It was easy to straighten it.

I can comment about the hardware though, for both the base & the saw. The 1/4-20x5/8" hex bolts for the base did not have a std. size head. None of my wrenches would fit, either too large or too small. Must be a metric head on an English thread??? I had to buy a couple dozen standard 1/4-20x3/4' bolts & nuts to assemble the base. I also added flat washer so there was one on each end of the bolts.

A similar thing on the set screws for adjusting the guides. None of my Allen wrenches fit well either. The largest one that can be inserted into the hex hole is looser than normal. Looks like I have to get some metric Allen wrenches before I go any further.

I must say that bolting the saw to the base is not the easiest thing to do: blind & difficult to access. Had to add a BB size spot of Goop adhesive to the side of each flat washer to hold it in place against the underside of the base cover while I then held the lock washer & hex nut together in my fingers & threaded it on the 1/4-20x1 1/2" hex bolt. I prefer to have the lock washer against the nut rather than under the head of the bolt.

Then checking the planarity of the wheels with a nice 48" Starrett scale that I've had for ~40 years showed that the top wheel was way off, but easily adjusted co-planar.

I stopped at this point, thinking that I'm getting ahead of my self & decided to look again for the manual, thinking I missed it before. I found it taped to the underside of the table, hidden from view. Guess I should read it before I go any further.;)

Hopefully I can finish tuning the saw tomorrow so I can confidently tell the Grizzly CS rep the condition of the saw when she calls on Wednesday(?).

Al

Last edited: