Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stake cutter

Talking Stake cutter

Hi All, I need some kind of a jig for cutting grade stakes. I have a miter saw but can only get a 45 deg. angle with it. I would like some ideas on how I can make a jig for it. Need stakes

Not really a jig, but if you run the stake material perpendicular to the fence, all you'd need is a stop block on the miter saw, and the angle set at 5 to 10 degrees off 90. Something like this:

Attachment 6373

Cut one side, flip the stake over, and cut the other side. Quick pointy stick.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Talking Did that

Hi Vaughn McMillan, I did that and it will try to snatch it away and throw it out the back . Having to be so careful takes way too long. I need something positive to hold it against. Something I can clamp onto the miter saw.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Wynn View Post
    Hi Vaughn McMillan, I did that and it will try to snatch it away and throw it out the back . Having to be so careful takes way too long. I need something positive to hold it against. Something I can clamp onto the miter saw.
    How about making the stop block in an "L" shape, so part of it runs parallel to the stock you're cutting:

Attachment 6374

You could also add a zero-clearance fence to prevent things from being shot out the back.

Do you have a band saw? You could freehand the points safely and quickly with that.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Usa a table saw with a taper jig.

Good sharp "Felling" axe and a stump and you are in business, I used to help out my uncle, a mining assayer, and we did a lot of stakes that way.

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Talking Hi Stuart

Hi Stuart, Thats a good idea if you don't mind working harder than nesessary. I myself, like to work smart not hard. I just can't stand to think of putting points on 35.000 stakes with a hatchet. Don't even sound right. Think I'll just go buy the Hudson stake sharpener. Thanks

Hi Stuart, Thats a good idea if you don't mind working harder than nesessary. I myself, like to work smart not hard. I just can't stand to think of putting points on 35.000 stakes with a hatchet. Don't even sound right. Think I'll just go buy the Hudson stake sharpener. Thanks

Well heck Randy, NOW you tell us it's 35,000 stakes

I guess one guys definition of "A lot" and another guy's can be quite different.

Once the stakes were cut to length, I'd do about about 100 in less than 10 mintues, but that was about the max we would do at any one time, 35,000, yeah, buy a machine, or better yet, can you not buy them pre-cut and bundled?

Good luck
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

stack-em up and gang cut `em on your mill.....build the jig so you can flop `em over while still stacked and cut the other side...better to cut 25 at a time as one-sies......tod
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Talking Great Idea

Hi tod evans, Thats about the best idea yet. Gotta be the fastest yet. I want the stake cutter from Hudson, but they want way too much for them. Thats because they have the market pretty well cornered as far as the cutting heads go, or as best as I can tell anyway . If I could get the cutting head I could make the rest. Thanks for all your input folks.